+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicHobgoblin View Post
    Apart from everyone telling kids who still believe in Santa etc that they aren't real. Makes my blood boil that they can't show the respect to keep it to themselves when no one goes around saying their God isn't real. *sigh*
    Before I stop commenting couldn't leave that alone.. sorry but people tell others that God is not real ALL the time.
    I find it odd you would think otherwise. Even school teaches you there's no such thing.
    Wow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    Before I stop commenting couldn't leave that alone.. sorry but people tell others that God is not real ALL the time.
    I find it odd you would think otherwise. Even school teaches you there's no such thing.
    Wow
    Of course they do. I'm talking about my kids and myself. We don't go telling people their beliefs are stupid so I find it disrespectful they say stuff to my children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    Although I don't know the history surrounding the OP I understand her frustrations because sometimes it can feel lonely having different "non-PC" opinions. When I say PC, I'll give you a relevant example: for various reasons I find this movement towards changing the date of Australia Day disagreeable - and believe it or not it's not because I'm a huge racist that hates Aboriginals and doesn't recognise my white privilege.
    I cannot express this opinion on a place like bubhub without absolute condemnation, disgust and a flurry of thinly veiled insults about my ignorance etc. What I always find ironic is the call for "tolerance and not being an a-hole" and yet if someone has a right of centre opinion then those calls are quickly pushed to the side and that person is shot down by the majority. Having a different take on issues, particularly ones to do with culture or race, doesn't always make you an a-hole. As I said I don't know the history here but I totally understand the frustration because I feel it often.
    Sorry I haven't read everything but I completely agree with this statement.

There's several controversial threads I have wanted to ask a question or get more info but haven't been able to word it in a way that's made me scared I will get labelled or ganged up on so I have just left it.

The problem is that people with opposing views, who get shut down... They also vote. And they vote for d**k heads like trump. Maybe not because they agree with everything that person says, but because they are strong enough to keep their view without being shut down.

Maybe just food for thought

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

GingerKat  (28-01-2017),Phony  (27-01-2017),Sweetbabydreams  (27-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I think knowing the history of the OP is important to this thread. I'm not sure if it's allowed to go into it, so I won't, but sufficed to say this isn't a matter of someone having respectful differing opinions who got ganged up on.

I think it's sad that so many posters have said they feel like they can't ask genuine questions or put forth differing opinions in a respectful way. For the most part I've always found the hub a respectful place. Sometimes things get heated or posters are very passionate about a topic but I think so long as you are being respectful you will be treated with respect by most.

If you put forth blatantly offensive and discriminatory opinions then you'll probably be called on it, that's not being ganged up on, it just means there's a large majority of hubbers who won't tolerate open and blatant discrimination, and I personally think that's a good thing.

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (27-01-2017),babyno1onboard  (27-01-2017),BettyV  (27-01-2017),Californication  (27-01-2017),delirium  (27-01-2017),DT75  (30-01-2017),Frankenmum  (28-01-2017),GingerKat  (28-01-2017),gingermillie  (27-01-2017),HollyGolightly81  (27-01-2017),PomPoms  (27-01-2017),TheGooch  (27-01-2017),twinklify  (27-01-2017),zelda  (27-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I for one, am not a fan of shutting down discussion for many reasons. One big one I find, is that it allows jerks to play the victim (that's not in any way directed at you meld). But I feel there are certain universal truths in today's modern, civilised society. That children should be protected. That there should be consequences for breaking the law. And also that as a modern society we have equality. Be that women's right's. LGBTQ to marry legally. And for people to not have to put up with discrimination based on the colour of their skin or what they wear on their head.

I'm not sure what the answer is to homophobes, racists, misogynists etc. Bc history shows education doesn't do much. But by the same token, when people openly ride against those universal truths, what do we do? History shows turning a blind eye works even worse than gentle education.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (27-01-2017),Hopeful37  (27-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    And the Hub is so so placid in comparison to how it used to be 5 years ago. Yet there was so much robust discussion and I miss that.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a long winded way is that there is a big difference between thoughtful disagreement and bigotism. The former has always been welcomed here. The latter, not. I've had lots and lots of people vehemently disagree with me. I'm not offended? If you want to add discussion that isn't blatantly offensive, jump right in

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (27-01-2017),Californication  (27-01-2017),HollyGolightly81  (27-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (27-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicHobgoblin View Post
    Apart from everyone telling kids who still believe in Santa etc that they aren't real. Makes my blood boil that they can't show the respect to keep it to themselves when no one goes around saying their God isn't real. *sigh*
    Don't they!!!!? No one!? Not one!?

I find that very hard to believe! Even if that is your reality and the case in your world, just because you've not seen or heard something being done before, doesn't make it fact. It goes both ways and all ways.

This is the problem with prejudice, is that those who can't see past the end of their own noses, just can't seem to comprehend how the world really works.

It's just like saying I met a man once who was in jail for assault, well Id better be careful of all men, because, yanno..... They're all criminals!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I think knowing the history of the OP is important to this thread. I'm not sure if it's allowed to go into it, so I won't, but sufficed to say this isn't a matter of someone having respectful differing opinions who got ganged up on.

I think it's sad that so many posters have said they feel like they can't ask genuine questions or put forth differing opinions in a respectful way. For the most part I've always found the hub a respectful place. Sometimes things get heated or posters are very passionate about a topic but I think so long as you are being respectful you will be treated with respect by most.

If you put forth blatantly offensive and discriminatory opinions then you'll probably be called on it, that's not being ganged up on, it just means there's a large majority of hubbers who won't tolerate open and blatant discrimination, and I personally think that's a good thing.
    This.