+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44
  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,032
    Thanks
    814
    Thanked
    590
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    It depends what field of science you are in. Veterinary Science related roles get **** pay compared to medical science.
    Really do vets get **** pay? I've spent BIG bucks on my dog in his life. I always thought they must earn heaps

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,861
    Thanks
    2,593
    Thanked
    2,572
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful37 View Post
    Really do vets get **** pay? I've spent BIG bucks on my dog in his life. I always thought they must earn heaps
    A vet in private practice will have lots of overheads eg staff salaries, premises rent, drugs and equipment etc etc.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

    Hopeful37  (26-01-2017)

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5,826
    Thanks
    1,071
    Thanked
    3,912
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful37 View Post
    Really do vets get **** pay? I've spent BIG bucks on my dog in his life. I always thought they must earn heaps
    If we had to pay in full for meds/procedures for ourselves how much would it cost?

    We either have public or private health that pay for most or all of our healthcare. Except with vets it is all out of pocket.

    Vets have to pay for the same/similar drugs, staff, all the other stuff.

    Some vets may overcharge but most try not to.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

    Hopeful37  (26-01-2017),Renn  (26-01-2017),zelda  (28-01-2017)

  6. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,135
    Thanks
    28,624
    Thanked
    14,789
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    My original comment came from a PP saying that sports people and actors get paid for their job and implied that scientists and doctors don't. I was pointing out that doctors and scientists also get paid. I'm a scientist (not in research) and yup I get paid each fortnight. And yes, research scientists aren't paid overly well.

    My apologies, I didn't mean to infer that Doctors and Scientists don't get paid at all. I just think they are underpaid for what they do/contribute....

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (26-01-2017),babyno1onboard  (26-01-2017),Hopeful37  (26-01-2017)

  8. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,135
    Thanks
    28,624
    Thanked
    14,789
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful37 View Post
    Really do vets get **** pay? I've spent BIG bucks on my dog in his life. I always thought they must earn heaps

    A friend of mine is a vet - she's 5 years out of uni and is now working in a small country town and gets paid $45K a year. I think that's appalling.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (26-01-2017)

  10. #36
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,032
    Thanks
    814
    Thanked
    590
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    If we had to pay in full for meds/procedures for ourselves how much would it cost?

    We either have public or private health that pay for most or all of our healthcare. Except with vets it is all out of pocket.

    Vets have to pay for the same/similar drugs, staff, all the other stuff.

    Some vets may overcharge but most try not to.
    True, my dog has had some expensive tests too so that equipment would be heaps.

    Don't get me wrong, its worth every penny. I love my fur baby to bits

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopeful37 For This Useful Post:

    twinklify  (26-01-2017)

  12. #37
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,032
    Thanks
    814
    Thanked
    590
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    A friend of mine is a vet - she's 5 years out of uni and is now working in a small country town and gets paid $45K a year. I think that's appalling.
    Woah that's crazy for all the study they do!

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,257
    Thanks
    2,397
    Thanked
    3,082
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Australia Day and Australian of the year

    Award wage currently is about the $45k mark.

    One clinic I worked at needed to invoice $6k worth of work everyday to cover the costs of opening the doors. No profit or anything.

    The average vet clinic profit is 5%.

    A lot of our work is heavily discounted just to get people to desex, we then have to make that up elsewhere.

    ETA: $46,000 ish. Or $23.40 ish an hour.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,032
    Thanks
    814
    Thanked
    590
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Award wage currently is about the $45k mark.

    One clinic I worked at needed to invoice $6k worth of work everyday to cover the costs of opening the doors. No profit or anything.

    The average vet clinic profit is 5%.

    A lot of our work is heavily discounted just to get people to desex, we then have to make that up elsewhere.

    ETA: $46,000 ish. Or $23.40 ish an hour.
    Wow interesting. The running costs really must be massive!!

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    18,701
    Thanks
    1,529
    Thanked
    8,342
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Malcolm Roberts one nation senator thought labour day was in celebration of the labor party These are the kind of morons we have in that party


    IMG_1485595557.447026.jpg

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (28-01-2017),gingermillie  (28-01-2017)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Being Australian.
    By Phony in forum General Chat
    Replies: 541
    Last Post: 26-01-2017, 17:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Prams and StrollersLooking to buy a pram or stroller? :: Viewer reviews of prams :: Pram Buyers ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›