+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,979
    Thanks
    28,440
    Thanked
    14,537
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    Maybe they thought Paul Hogan did a lot for tourism lol


    Bahahahahah Maybe!!!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,520
    Thanks
    5,915
    Thanked
    4,951
    Reviews
    21
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    He may be the most recent example but I wasn't referring to him specifically when I made my original comment. As I said above, I simply believe there are people on the list of winners who are more deserving than others. I don't quite understand why this has become yet another 'race related thread' when my original comment focussed on both sportspeople AND people in the entertainment industry equally?

    Off track for a moment...But this is why I don't often comment on these types of threads. For some reason it seems that you're not allowed to have an alternative opinion here, and if you express it (even if you do so politely) you either get flooded with slabs of quoted text in what I can only assume is an attempt to 'prove' why you are wrong, or you get ganged up on.

    Why is it that no-one can accept that some people simply have differing opinions to theirs? I respect other peoples thoughts and accept them as they are.

    I want make it clear also that I'm not referring to your post specifically, @atomicmama, it is just a general comment. It irks me that many people here say they love the threads where there can be a bit of banter, but it's only ok if we all agree apparently
    Sorry, I really should have quoted MF as well, as I was highlighting that recent past choices have been deserving. I suppose I overlapped my reply between you.

    I'm not arguing (well, not intending to), but I do like engaging in discussion, or a bit of healthy debating.
    In interests me to find out *why* people think the way they do.

    The only reason that I brought up race was because it is the reason the most recent sportsperson or person in the entertainment industry was awarded.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

    Blossom74  (26-01-2017)

  4. #23
    AdornedWithCats's Avatar
    AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,448
    Thanks
    7,710
    Thanked
    3,973
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I've never been particularly interested in whose won the awards in the past. I'm not really familar with the criteria.

    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Scientists and doctors also get paid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    Nowhere near as much as they deserve...
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    They do pretty well for themselves. if there is money to spare in healthcare staffing I think it should go to nurses, allied health, support staff.
    I'm not sure how you define "pretty well" but research scientists earn approximately the average salary, doctors earn much more. In fact a lot of research scientists I know do a lot of unpaid work. 😯😔

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

    Blossom74  (26-01-2017)

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,135
    Thanks
    1,841
    Thanked
    1,876
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I've never been particularly interested in whose won the awards in the past. I'm not really familar with the criteria.







    I'm not sure how you define "pretty well" but research scientists earn approximately the average salary, doctors earn much more. In fact a lot of research scientists I know do a lot of unpaid work.
    My comment was related to doctors. I'm aware of what the earn (hubby and his mates) however I can't say I know what researchers earn. I was just saying that the doctors are probably ok!

  7. #25
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,016
    Thanks
    784
    Thanked
    570
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Australia Day and Australian of the year

    I think sports people and actors get some many other awards. There's always some award for actors on tv. Every sport has an awards night too.

    Dr's and scientists don't. They often have to fight for government grants to further their studies. Most of them will never get recognised for the inroads they make. I think they deserve every penny they make and then some. Most don't do it for the money. They are so smart they could have gone into a lot of other fields that would have made then a lot more money than medicine
    Last edited by Hopeful37; 26-01-2017 at 12:04.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hopeful37 For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (26-01-2017),Blossom74  (26-01-2017),GingerKat  (26-01-2017),MysticFalls  (26-01-2017)

  9. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5,399
    Thanks
    1,029
    Thanked
    3,510
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    He may be the most recent example but I wasn't referring to him specifically when I made my original comment. As I said above, I simply believe there are people on the list of winners who are more deserving than others. I don't quite understand why this has become yet another 'race related thread' when my original comment focussed on both sportspeople AND people in the entertainment industry equally?

    Off track for a moment...But this is why I don't often comment on these types of threads. For some reason it seems that you're not allowed to have an alternative opinion here, and if you express it (even if you do so politely) you either get flooded with slabs of quoted text in what I can only assume is an attempt to 'prove' why you are wrong, or you get ganged up on.

    Why is it that no-one can accept that some people simply have differing opinions to theirs? I respect other peoples thoughts and accept them as they are.

    I want make it clear also that I'm not referring to your post specifically, @atomicmama, it is just a general comment. It irks me that many people here say they love the threads where there can be a bit of banter, but it's only ok if we all agree apparently
    Sorry, Adam Goodes was the most recent sportperson I could think of. To be honest I do not remember many sportspeople from recent years.

    I would assume Tubs and Paul Hogan got theirs at the time for showing some form of excellence in what they did - Paul Hogan brought 'Aussie-ness' to the world. And a sporting nation is probably why Tubs was there (or airconditioners).

    Geoffrey Rush was a recent one that is an actor. He has done heaps for the Arts community. I remember he was fighting for the Regent Theatre in Brisbane to not be developed (that failed).

    Dawn Fraser - probably for women in sport?

    I think when it comes to science/medicine it takes years and years for any breakthrough in research. Add to that lack of funding. So researchers and scientists cannot be nominated every year IYKWIM?

    I also think it is good to have a diverse group of people that contribute to something different every year.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

    Blossom74  (26-01-2017)

  11. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,906
    Thanks
    1,622
    Thanked
    1,602
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I've never been particularly interested in whose won the awards in the past. I'm not really familar with the criteria.







    I'm not sure how you define "pretty well" but research scientists earn approximately the average salary, doctors earn much more. In fact a lot of research scientists I know do a lot of unpaid work. ������������
    This.

    Scientists in research actually get a pretty raw deal. Job security is a thing of the past. It is all about about justifying your existence securing grant funding for the next x years which your salary and team's salary (amongst other expenses) will come from. There are long hours and your job is only as secure as your current grants.

    Oh and it isn't a profession that is particularly welcoming of taking extended breaks in the form of maternity leave or having a few years as a SAHM either.

    (Daughter and sibling of research scientists here).

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (26-01-2017),Blossom74  (26-01-2017)

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,164
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked
    1,011
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it should be an award given to who has not been recognised previously for sport, arts, movies. Etc deserving in my eyes is this years winner. An unsung hero!

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,122
    Thanks
    2,309
    Thanked
    2,916
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    Nowhere near as much as they deserve...
    It depends what field of science you are in. Veterinary Science related roles get **** pay compared to medical science.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,985
    Thanks
    3,859
    Thanked
    2,212
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I've never been particularly interested in whose won the awards in the past. I'm not really familar with the criteria.







    I'm not sure how you define "pretty well" but research scientists earn approximately the average salary, doctors earn much more. In fact a lot of research scientists I know do a lot of unpaid work.
    My original comment came from a PP saying that sports people and actors get paid for their job and implied that scientists and doctors don't. I was pointing out that doctors and scientists also get paid. I'm a scientist (not in research) and yup I get paid each fortnight. And yes, research scientists aren't paid overly well.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

    MysticFalls  (26-01-2017)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Being Australian.
    By Phony in forum General Chat
    Replies: 541
    Last Post: 26-01-2017, 16:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Sudocrem / InfacolSudocrem® is a soothing emollient cream which aids and assists in the management of nappy rash. Sudocrem® is used to ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
RestavitGeneral Sleeping & Settling Chat
How many Presents for Christmas?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Is this a faint positive result or just a indent line?Pregnancy Tests & Help / Support with Results
How normal is gas at this age?Newborns (0 - 2 months)
Help! Clexane and pregnantpregnancy and babies through IVF
IVF babies due March/April/May 2017#2pregnancy and babies through IVF
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›