+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    They do pretty well for themselves. if there is money to spare in healthcare staffing I think it should go to nurses, allied health, support staff.
    Would love to know where all this spare money is

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pavalova done! It's not pretty but pics later. There is a mum side dad side and child you can guess who is who.

We are at the cinemas and will be having a BBQ for dinner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    *Some* might.

But they also get paid for it, and recognition in their own fields.

No, I think the award is for more deserving work than that. Look at Rosie Batty. All the terrible things that poor woman has been thorough. And yet she works tirelessly for others so that they may not go through what she did.

Or consider someone who works in science to find cures to the cruel and painful diseases from which some people suffer. The surgeons who will risk their jobs to do surgeries that most deem 'too risky.' The animal rights activists who put themselves on the line to protect those who cannot protect themselves.

Those are things truly deserving of the award IMO.
    Not 'might' but they actually do.

The amount of money they earn is not why they are nominated. It is for what they do in the community and/or for work with social issues.

Adam Goodes - he did a huge amount of work for Indigenous Australians and for racism in sport and the wider community. Why should the fact he is an AFL player make him ineligible or somehow not able to be nominated.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (26-01-2017),babyno1onboard  (26-01-2017),gingermillie  (26-01-2017)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    In the last 15 years:
    5 recipients have been involved in medicine or science.
    3 athletes (10 years between Steve Waugh in 2004 and Adam Goodes in 2014)
    2 from the arts
    1 family violence advocate
    1 diversity and gender equality advocate / Military
    2 from business
    1 Indigenous leader

A fairly diverse list IMO.

When I look at that list, I can see a whole lot of areas that Australians value as part of our culture, lifestyle and history.

[text deleted by moderator]
    Last edited by Mod-Nomsie; 26-01-2017 at 12:40. Reason: Not in the spirit of BH

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (26-01-2017),babyno1onboard  (26-01-2017),gingermillie  (26-01-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (26-01-2017),Mum-I-Am  (26-01-2017),twinklify  (26-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post

The amount of money they earn is not why they are nominated. It is for what they do in the community and/or for work with social issues.

Adam Goodes - he did a huge amount of work for Indigenous Australians and for racism in sport and the wider community. Why should the fact he is an AFL player make him ineligible or somehow not able to be nominated.

I wasn't singling out Adam Goodes per se, and I understand the work he did for the community. But Dawn Fraser? Jack Brabham? Mark Taylor? Robert de Castella? When you look down the honor roll, these sportspeople don't have anything next to their names other than the sport for which they were famous (unlike Goodes's.)

Lee Kernaghan? Paul Hogan? Seriously? Many people do work for the community but is it of the same standing as contributing to medical advancement, protecting the environment and saving lives?

My point is that there are merely some winners of the award on the list that are more deserving (IMO) than others. And it's ok if you feel otherwise, but my opinion is just as valid.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Hopeful37  (26-01-2017),MysticFalls  (26-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Best thing about today is the 16,000 people from 150 countries who will now call Australia home!

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

amyd  (26-01-2017),Blossom74  (26-01-2017),delirium  (26-01-2017),gingermillie  (26-01-2017),TheGooch  (26-01-2017),twinklify  (26-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post

GO Foundation, which Adam Goodes and Michael O'Loughlin founded, is a great example of putting things back in to the community. They pay all school expenses for a number of Indigenous students based on academics.
    Sounds pretty deserving to me ☺

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (26-01-2017),twinklify  (26-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    *Some* might.

But they also get paid for it, and recognition in their own fields.

No, I think the award is for more deserving work than that. Look at Rosie Batty. All the terrible things that poor woman has been thorough. And yet she works tirelessly for others so that they may not go through what she did.

Or consider someone who works in science to find cures to the cruel and painful diseases from which some people suffer. The surgeons who will risk their jobs to do surgeries that most deem 'too risky.' The animal rights activists who put themselves on the line to protect those who cannot protect themselves.

Those are things truly deserving of the award IMO.
    People can be considered deserving based on more than a select few fields.

I'll use Adam Goodes as an example again, because he was the most recent sportsman to receive the award. Closing the gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians is really important. If someone is using their fame as a platform to help close that gap, he should be given credit on a day that highlights the problems the owners of this land still face.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (26-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe they thought Paul Hogan did a lot for tourism lol

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

amyd  (26-01-2017),Mum-I-Am  (26-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post

I'll use Adam Goodes as an example again, because he was the most recent sportsman to receive the award. Closing the gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians is really important. If someone is using their fame as a platform to help close that gap, he should be given credit on a day that highlights the problems the owners of this land still face.

He may be the most recent example but I wasn't referring to him specifically when I made my original comment. As I said above, I simply believe there are people on the list of winners who are more deserving than others. I don't quite understand why this has become yet another 'race related thread' when my original comment focussed on both sportspeople AND people in the entertainment industry equally?

Off track for a moment...But this is why I don't often comment on these types of threads. For some reason it seems that you're not allowed to have an alternative opinion here, and if you express it (even if you do so politely) you either get flooded with slabs of quoted text in what I can only assume is an attempt to 'prove' why you are wrong, or you get ganged up on.

Why is it that no-one can accept that some people simply have differing opinions to theirs? I respect other peoples thoughts and accept them as they are.

I want make it clear also that I'm not referring to your post specifically, @atomicmama, it is just a general comment. It irks me that many people here say they love the threads where there can be a bit of banter, but it's only ok if we all agree apparently

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

DT75  (26-01-2017),GingerKat  (26-01-2017),Hopeful37  (26-01-2017),neza  (26-01-2017)