+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DD has soooo many toys but they all have their own spot / basket / container so it's easy to pack them away and switch them out for something else. DD is 4.5 and thankfully brilliant at entertaining herself, there's not much she doesn't play with. But we've started to cull, we recently gave away her 'baby' toys, and she happily got involved in getting rid of what she no longer played with. I do notice though, if we've had too many days at home she'll tend to just pull everything out and move on after 5 mins rather than engaging. On work days when we don't have much time in the evenings, she'll play with just the one thing intently until bath time.

I hear you on the Grossery Gang, OP For us it's Shopkins, Fashems, Num Noms - basically anything you have to collect the whole set! Which is impossible before they release more of course!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (26-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the same problem. Toys are everywhere!! My DS is also a collector and is not happy until he has the full set of whatever he is into at the time. I recently changed his bedroom and put in lots of shelves for him to use to display his collections which is helping a little with the clutter. I've also started pocket money - if he wants something he needs to use his own money which is reducing the number of new additions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloom Bloom View Post
    I have the same problem. Toys are everywhere!! My DS is also a collector and is not happy until he has the full set of whatever he is into at the time. I recently changed his bedroom and put in lots of shelves for him to use to display his collections which is helping a little with the clutter. I've also started pocket money - if he wants something he needs to use his own money which is reducing the number of new additions.
    We used too buy latest and add to them, no longer and bets decision EVER!

We do not use toys as a means for child entertainment or to have 5 minutes of peace.

yes of course kids have toys, but not as many as we used to buy.

Instead we put money aside for end of year family camp, nothing beats being in the real world as a family.

My kids draw a lot and 2 are very artistic - and this is cheap, stimulating, creative and cheap cheap!

Tuesdays EVERY week, is family day/time includes:

Uno, Monopoly, Cooking home made pizza's, hamburgers... play dough fun for youngest and everyone plays and creates something if that is selected on the day and funnily enough everyone has a great time playing with it even older kids because we make it fun.

Also includes mario kart on the wii - u 4 players at the one go, we are family of 6

We have balloon drawing some weeks, everyone gets a balloon and has to draw something we select a theme and everyone has 5 minute timer too do what they can. It's fun!

We have movie night every 2nd week, on Thursday... at home + popcorn
    Sold off a lot of toys on gumtree and made some good money from clearing out clutter and mess... my feet are loving not stepping on some toy lol

We have computer and or ipad time allocated - so it is never too much time or just at will... set days and times use it or wait until the next set day and time.

I could go on if you like, but one thing we do NOW as same as above person, you want the toy, earn it, pocket money.. we no longer buy them just cause type thing and we encourage more out side exercise, bike riding and playing ball in the back yard and badmitton etc.

I think parents are partially responsible for children becoming lazy and not active.

We encourage reading, my youngest she is now 7 and did not like reading until only the last 5 months or so because she can now read a huge amount of words - so she picks up a book and reads a lot more now.

I think get rid of a lot of toys and roll back some what to biking,, ball games, cards and board games too, drawing etc!!
    They can pile up in cost and you could put the money away into something far greater then a toy can do for a child.