+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Toy overload!

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm a single mum. I work full time. DS is 4 and is a quite demanding/challenging child. I buy a lot of toys and games. A lot! I think some of it is guilt for working full time, and some is in the hope that he'll love a toy so much that I might get 5 minutes to myself (a dream that I still cherish).

DS also seems to be a bit of a collector himself - if he gets one or two things that are a part of a series, he always wants the whole lot. At present, it's grossery gang toys. They're invading my house. I found half a dozen of them in his milk!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We used to but not so much these days. To do a cull, I would get kiddo to help choose toys he doesn't play with so another boy or girl could play with them. Helped because he also had control over what we got rid of. Perhaps give that a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I regularly cull and we don't buy a large amount of toys, but I still find it overwhelming how much they have. After struggling to find space for everything post Christmas, I've decided that I'm going to buy even less from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Waggers70 View Post
    the hope that he'll love a toy so much that I might get 5 minutes to myself (a dream that I still cherish).
    I find that it's the other way around. The less toys they have, the more likely they are to genuinely engage in play, rather than just aimlessly pulling everything out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (26-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes
    I'm addicted to toys. I was your son growing up. I am an only child of a single mother. Mum didn't have a lot of toys as a kid (she had a lot of siblings) and it was like the toys compensated for me not having siblings in a way. I did love my toys a lot. The toys and my pets were my company. I had a lot of friends and cousins too so it was ok.
    So I've always had tons of toys and when I became a mum I wanted to buy lots for my kids.
    My husbands parents were pretty strict on toys and since being with me we have gone crazy lol
    We have 4 kids and a house full of toys. We collect toys ourselves.
    I've been shamed for it by my mother (the irony huh!) endlessly and we have had to sell and give away lots of times when they got too much to handle. But it's how we are and I think it's here to stay. It's only a problem if it's sending you broke, or you can't walk on the floor haha
    Lots of boxes for storage are good
    Some people do sports or lots of travelling etc we do toys

Eta yeh my kids get bored with them after a while and they throw them everywhere.
    iPads are great for getting time to yourself lol but they are also evil and addicting we have learned the hard way so I will stick with tons of different toys. I don't hear I'm bored here hardly ever.
    Last edited by Bluebirdgirl; 26-01-2017 at 08:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to. I buy most things from op shops, so whenever I found a fantastic bargain I'd buy it (massive Duplo zoo set for $6, really expensive wooden ride on/rocker for $4, massive set of schleich animals for $29 etc.)

It got to a point that the toys spread everywhere were really getting to be. Despite rotating toys, DD would spread out all the pieces then have a tantrum 'cause she wanted something else and it was too hard to pack up.

We regularly cull toys now and I do my best not to buy anything new. They really do engage and play better when there's less stuff. We still have way more stuff than I'd like, but we're down to the things that I/the kids aren't willing to let go of. Now decent storage (out of child reach) is my savior!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used to have this problem, but we culled massively. We have a dedicated playroom, and with too many toys we found the kids just pulled everything out and didn't actually play with any of it - the play was making a mess. I got sick of constantly putting the bits and pieces away so I took about 8 garbage bags down to our garage & left a few things - baby dolls and toy pram/cot, a small basket of soft toys, 6 books (of about 50), a small box of dress ups, musical instruments (about 5), a few cars and 2 board games. They now walk in there and actually play with their toys. It's great! I never thought that less toys would make them less bored but they actually engage with the toys they have now instead of becoming overwhelmed with 'stuff.'

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We cull and donate regularly. If there are too many toys out ds will just pull them all out and scatter them over the floor without actually playing. In fact I got annoyed the other day and took heaps of stuff away and he wasn't even bothered! So we have a lot of his toys in a cupboard and I rotate them. Our lounge room is also his toy room so we can't let the toys take over too much!

If you feel guilty about working, maybe you should buy experiences you can share together rather than toys? Like concert tickets, zoos, museums etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have an only child and he has SO MANY toys. Too many really. My DH is the one who buys most of them.

I do a cull now and again, but it's hard because he does actually play with most of them.

The stuff he plays with least are small figurine type things. I could cull a bunch of them now and he probably wouldn't notice (in fact, I might do this right now!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have found that the less they have, the more they get played with.
    I guess they get overwhelmed by choice, rather than wanting something in particular.

I have seen this with my almost 1 year, almost 11 year old, and 9 year old. Less is more.

(This is the reason I love Aldi lol)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (26-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kid loves toys, and he does have a lot of them. He's almost 4. He does spend hours and hours playing with them though. I def cull toys and box up ones he doesn't use but I also rotate them around. He's also just getting into Lego so they're all in their sets on a high shelf so I have to get them down for him.

I also buy lots second hand (for eg. One of his christmas presents was a huge tub of loose duplo I got on gumtree).

Rotating toys can take a bit of time and organisation but I find it works really well. My kid loves trains, will build train tracks for hours and hours (most of them I've gotten second hand too). So atm he only has one set of train tracks, a box of Mr Potato head pieces, a box of cars, tub of duplo and his lego sets. I just swapped out his toys today for his super hero figurines, his big wooden train track set and his Magna tiles. They'd been in the garage about 5 weeks and suddenly they're new again

It also makes it easier to put all the toys away in their boxes because there aren't too many different sets.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

DT75  (26-01-2017)