ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I don't think I could. If I was donating organs, I would most likely be dead. And even if I wasn't, I'd still only be like "hey there's my sister who is her own person still, walking around with my kidney in her body, how cool!" Whereas if I donated my eggs, even anonymously, I'd be thinking "that kid looks like me, is it carrying half my DNA?" I wouldn't think of the child as mine I don't think but I just couldn't separate myself from the idea that they're part of me.
    Very much this. I really admire people who donate eggs to allow others to start their own family, but I don't have the right mindset. I would always be thinking about that child.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (28-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually if for anyone who doesn't want to donate blood. Do you think you would change your mind if you needed to receive blood?[/QUOTE]

I received blood last year after my injury and would love to say I could donate, but due to medication I can't, and my needle phobia also would affect me. I asked my husband to, to replace the blood I took and he tried. Unfortunately it didn't go well and they didn't get a full amount so apparently just get rid of it.

I would love to say I could but after the needles and blood I have had removed and being next to my husband when he tried to do donate I think I wouldn't be able to.

Sent from my MotoG3 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you donate blood?

Not currently but yes I have in the past. I can only give a half bag as the couple of times I've attempted to donate more I start to go into shock - just my body doesn't cope I suppose. That said I will contribute to do it when I can (currently bf and sleep deprived so not a good time given my history).

I am an organ donor and would have no problems donating kidney or part liver whilst still alive.

Egg donation is moot point I'm 43 rapidly heading for 44. I do however have 11 embryos in storage and was willing to discuss donating but DH said no.

Foster care we had started the process before we moved to the ACT. We were just looking at doing it again when I fell unexpectedly pregnant with DS3. Now we will wait until both boys are older and will definitely be doing it. Friends of ours have just been given permanent care of two brothers - the youngest one having been in care since birth. They both have developmental issues and the older boy has some serious problems as a result of trauma. They are now loved and are surrounded by an amazing team of people helping our friends out. We will do it absolutely in the future.
    @Renn you're amazing. Thank you for the work you do.
    Last edited by binnielici; 28-01-2017 at 07:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've looked into fostering and are both keen to do it but prefer to wait until our children are a bit older. We already have our own child with autism as well as 3 more young children. It wouldn't be fair for our children or for the foster children as I feel like both would get a halfassed parent. Instead of us waiting and giving full attention to each group.

I couldn't donate eggs for similar reason as others have mentioned. I would struggle to separate them and mine. Might be different if it was a sister or whatever but I don't have one so that's a moot point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Donating eggs is a tricky one. I think I could have if asked, but not sure I would have done it before I had my own kids incase it affected my own fertility. But by the time I had my kids, I was too old. I was 39 when DD arrived and I think the cutoff is 40?? Nearly 44 now, so I don't think they would be of any use.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In terms of donating eggs to my sister, I think that would be even harder. I would struggle to watch them parent "my" child and to have boundaries in terms of how much I love them, where the boundary between niece / nephew love and parent love is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Blood and plasma regularly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm an organ doner. Don't give blood. I'm always anaemic - I need it all LOL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    In terms of donating eggs to my sister, I think that would be even harder. I would struggle to watch them parent "my" child and to have boundaries in terms of how much I love them, where the boundary between niece / nephew love and parent love is.
    When it comes to my sisters I would donate eggs if they needed it and tend to think of it as providing a close to matching DNA. But a stranger I don't think I could do. I adore my nephews and nieces, but it's in a different way than I do my kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    As for your comments on organ donation, what do you mean? Are you saying that you want to pick and choose who organs might go to before you agree to donate them?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    As for your stance about being able to pick and choose organ donor recipients - don't you think doctors, etc, make good judgments about donor recipients based on clinical need and prognosis, etc?

George Best.
    He should never have got a second liver over someone who really needed it.
    He drank himself to death, again.
    His surgeon agreed.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...icineandhealth

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

DT75  (28-01-2017),LaDiDah  (30-01-2017)