+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 120
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,186
    Thanks
    2,125
    Thanked
    1,603
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't ever donated blood, and at this point I don't plan to - and it's something that I feel incredibly guilty about. However, I have a needle phobia; I panic and then faint when I have blood tests, so anything with longer exposure to needles with blood coming out is not going to work. I feel dizzy just thinking about it. They've told me that they don't want me to donate if I know I am going to faint, because they'd have to stop anyway and then deal with me. I also constantly have low iron, so I could never guarantee that wouldn't be an issue.

    I'm not on the organ donor register, but DH knows my wishes, and I think mum would just assume that I'd donate regardless. Although, my heart would probably be out because I have a defect.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,674
    Thanks
    913
    Thanked
    2,143
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    What do people think of having an 'opt out' organ donor system instead? That is, people are presumed to consent to organ donation, except if they have noted an intention to opt out?
    I think in theory it seems ok, but wouldnt work in practice. For example - a mother who never had the opportunity to say goodbye to her child, because the organs were donated before she got to hold or see her deceased child? It HAS to be opt-in, like any other intervention or medical procedure, with expressed consent given from the family members. Ultimately it will be the family members decision anyway, which is why it is so important that they know your feelings on the issue.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,295
    Thanks
    465
    Thanked
    1,065
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am not giving blood till it's legal to advertise for donor sperm or eggs just like the ads for blood donors on tv it's my stance and I don't think anyone will understand my position but I feel strongly on it.

    As for organ donor HELL NO unless there is a tick box.

    Yes if they have a genetic component and need an organ. Then yes go ahead.

    NO if they have abused their organs.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,615
    Thanks
    3,486
    Thanked
    2,432
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalls View Post
    I am not giving blood till it's legal to advertise for donor sperm or eggs just like the ads for blood donors on tv it's my stance and I don't think anyone will understand my position but I feel strongly on it.

    As for organ donor HELL NO unless there is a tick box.

    Yes if they have a genetic component and need an organ. Then yes go ahead.

    NO if they have abused their organs.
    As far as I know, it IS legal to advertise for sperm and egg donors - they just can't be paid, just like blood donors.

    As for your comments on organ donation, what do you mean? Are you saying that you want to pick and choose who organs might go to before you agree to donate them?

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

    gingermillie  (26-01-2017)

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,110
    Thanks
    6,496
    Thanked
    5,581
    Reviews
    21
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm yet to donate blood. Between tattoos, pregnancy and breastfeeding, I was ineligible for a long time and then it has just slipped my mind.

    I'm a registered organ donor and have made my wishes known to family.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,295
    Thanks
    465
    Thanked
    1,065
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    no they are not allowed to advertise for sperm or egg donors on TV yet.

    Yes its my organs so I should be allowed to pick and choose.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,771
    Thanks
    3,119
    Thanked
    2,306
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Do you donate blood?

    Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalls View Post
    no they are not allowed to advertise for sperm or egg donors on TV yet.

    Yes its my organs so I should be allowed to pick and choose.
    While I agree that the advertising rules for sperm and egg donation should be loosened, I don't think you can compare it to blood donation. Blood donations save lives and is needed in much higher numbers than sperm and egg donation. Please note, I'm not trying to downplay the importance of sperm and egg donation for lots of people. I'm just saying it's a different thing and therefore I struggle to understand your argument.

    As for your point about organ donation, I think it would be unfair to deny someone an organ because of past lifestyle choices. Plus it's not just that person who would be affected by not getting an organ. It's their family too.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

    gingermillie  (26-01-2017),JustJaq  (26-01-2017),Mod-Wise Enough  (26-01-2017)

  10. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,615
    Thanks
    3,486
    Thanked
    2,432
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalls View Post
    no they are not allowed to advertise for sperm or egg donors on TV yet.

    Yes its my organs so I should be allowed to pick and choose.
    Hmm. Advertising certainly can be done via means other than tv at least. Can you link me to something about the prohibition on tv advertising? I'm curious.

    As for your stance about being able to pick and choose organ donor recipients - don't you think doctors, etc, make good judgments about donor recipients based on clinical need and prognosis, etc?

    Does your view about 'deserving recipients' extend to other health care, etc? Do you think nurses and doctors should provide different care to people based on whether they think the patients are 'deserving' or not?

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (26-01-2017),BettyV  (26-01-2017),gingermillie  (26-01-2017)

  12. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,220
    Thanks
    6,845
    Thanked
    5,752
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Do you donate blood?

    Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalls View Post
    As for organ donor HELL NO unless there is a tick box.

    Yes if they have a genetic component and need an organ. Then yes go ahead.

    NO if they have abused their organs.
    But taking this stance, means anyone compatible with your organs misses out. And there is strict criteria for receiving organs based on all sorts of things. One person donating their organs can save 8 lives, and have an impact on 50 with things like corneas, tissue etc.

    As for me, I don't give blood. I wish I could as I'm O- and therefor a universal donor, but my iron stores have never been good enough for me to donate. Even with tablets, I'm in the low range. (Hopefully that will change if the Mirena can work its magic on my horrible periods.). I also have terrible veins, so they may not let me anyway!

    But I am an organ donor, as is DH. They can take whatever they need once I'm gone. I think I may struggle if something happened to the kids, but I hope I would be strong enough to donate then too.
    Last edited by Californication; 26-01-2017 at 15:24.

  13. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,833
    Thanks
    4,871
    Thanked
    4,986
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've heard ads on the radio from fertility clinics asking for sperm donors.

    As a recipient of sperm donation I would happily donate what I can.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Low blood pressure?
    By BitsHead in forum Pregnancy Health Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28-01-2016, 07:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Prams and StrollersLooking to buy a pram or stroller? :: Viewer reviews of prams :: Pram Buyers ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›

ADVERTISEMENT