ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never donated blood, I have very deep veins so for blood tests they have always struggled to find them and I had a bit of a phobia of needles. Since starting ttc I've found some strategies that work and can point out one good vein so I've been thinking about starting but still feeling nervous.

I did register to be an organ donor last year though and have spoken to my husband about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was a regular donor for blood, plasma or platelets - whichever they needed at the time. I was one of the "chosen one" donors at the main centre in Brisbane to donate plasma/platelets thanks to my blood group (B pos) and my awesome veins lol. I stopped because I'd had biopsies done and then started fertility treatments. So once I'm done with pregnancy/breastfeeding or there's a gap in between finishing bf and falling pregnant again, I'll start up donating regularly.

Organ donation I'm very passionate about. I'm in the register and my family know my wishes so they'd better respect them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Best Things View Post
    Please please please donate blood! My wife had open heart surgery 8 days ago and lost so much blood. She then went into arrhythmia and they had to use the defibrillator to bring her out of it. Her body was ruined. Her two blood transfusions were life saving.

They saved her life. She sits here with me now because of donors. My daughter has a mother, I have a wife. Thank science for that.
    Omg @Best Things! How scary! I'm so glad your DW is ok! Health scares really make you appreciate your loved ones even more, don't they?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you donate blood?

Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    What do people think of having an 'opt out' organ donor system instead? That is, people are presumed to consent to organ donation, except if they have noted an intention to opt out?
    YES!!!

I think the other really important thing for people to know is that your family/NOK
    must consent to donation even if you are registered and your family can also consent to donation if you haven't registered.

When I worked in a tertiary ICU I was involved in these decisions and supporting family's as they made these decisions. Almost all donors are young healthy people who have experienced extreme trauma or had severe bleeds into their brains, it's never expected and is always devastating.

The most important step is to talk to your family. Let them know your views! They will be the ones having to make the decisions in a time of crisis.
    Last edited by Mum-I-Am; 26-01-2017 at 08:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to say, I always used to donate blood. I stopped when I got a needlestick injury at work. Red Cross insist you don't donate for 12months but QLD Health clears you after 3. Sadly I just never went back and now ivf and pregnancies have kept me away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for each and every one of you that donates from the bottom of my heart. I have an autoimmune disorder and get 3 weekly plasma transfusions- possibly for life. Thank you does not seem to express enough gratitude.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missbear For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough  (26-01-2017),TandR  (26-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't donate blood, but there is no collection point to do so here (I live remotely.) I am, however, on the organ donor registry, and have been since I was 18 years old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    What do people think of having an 'opt out' organ donor system instead? That is, people are presumed to consent to organ donation, except if they have noted an intention to opt out?

I think this is a fantastic idea. It saddens me that there are so many people waiting for organs to come up when I suspect a lot of the time people just aren't thinking about it....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've always wanted to donate blood, but 5 years of IVF, pregnancy and breastfeeding has got in the way. When I weak DS I plan to donate.
    I am an organ donor and my family knows my wishes.
    I think an "opt-out" system is a great idea, so many people just don't ever think about donation and never gave the conversation with their families.
    I guy I work with has a rare blood type and donates every month!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    I was a regular donor for blood, plasma or platelets - whichever they needed at the time. I was one of the "chosen one" donors at the main centre in Brisbane to donate plasma/platelets thanks to my blood group (B pos) and my awesome veins lol. I stopped because I'd had biopsies done and then started fertility treatments. So once I'm done with pregnancy/breastfeeding or there's a gap in between finishing bf and falling pregnant again, I'll start up donating regularly.

Organ donation I'm very passionate about. I'm in the register and my family know my wishes so they'd better respect them!
    I'm type B positive too! DD is as well, but thankfully we can also receive type O blood, so she received type O sometimes during her chemo.

I have awesome veins too, nurses love them, lol