+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you donate blood?

What about the organ donation register? Why or why not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suppose I should add that I am on the organ donation register and would give consent for my family should the unthinkable happen.
    I haven't given blood. Always "mean" too but always pregnant or breastfeeding or busy etcetc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't donate blood because I have low iron. If I ever manage to get it back in the normal range I will.

I am on the organ donor register. My brother is currently waiting for a kidney and pancreas transplant. Dialysis keeps him going for now but without the gift of organ donation he won't see his children grow up. Knowing the impact organ donation could make to my own family, there's no way I could say no to donating my own organs.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (25-01-2017),RoseMay  (25-01-2017),Wise Enough  (25-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm booked in to donate Tuesday!

I am on the organ donor register. So's my DH. He knows and supports my wishes

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

RoseMay  (25-01-2017),Wise Enough  (25-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I donate blood every 3 months and am on the OD list x. I'm O+ so its one of the types that can be used on many.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mckel For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (25-01-2017),RoseMay  (25-01-2017),Wise Enough  (25-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to donate a couple of times a year but stopped with IVF/pregnancy/babies cycle. Unfortunately I have macular degeneration that needs to be treated with an eye injection that's a tiny chemotherapy dose every 10 weeks and my doctor says it's doubtful they would take me now.

I get the "meaning too but busy" thing. I will never understand people who refuse to even try it because it might hurt. Watching a loved one die because no one donated would hurt more.

And I'm yes to organ donation . I plan on being recycled and live forever

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

mckel  (25-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have not given blood in forever. I have been pregnant and BF the last few years. Also have low iron.

I have also fainted when I gave blood. I want to give it one last go and if I faint again I think it is just something I should not do (I did have some issues for some time after - I think it has to do with iron for me too...)

I am not on the organ register as I keep forgetting but DH knows I will donate organs. He also will donate organs - he was also regularly giving blood until his iron dropped quite a lot. He has since had investigations and supplements and will probably start again soon. But less regularly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started giving blood when I was 16. I grew up watching my mum give blood and always wanted to start as soon as I could.

I haven't given blood for 5 years now as I've been pregnant or breastfeeding. I'm thinking of going soon and just not telling them I'm still breastfeeding.

And yes, I'm in the organ donation register. My family are all aware of my wishes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have also been a blood donor since i was 16, @Renn - and funnily enough I also decided to because I grew up going along wih my Mum and watching her donate from a young age. I am currently pregnant, so can't donate for a while, but when I am eligible to start again, I think I will take my oldest DD at least along with me.

I am also on the bone marrow donor register, but have never been called on to donate. I am also down as an organ donor and have told my DH my wishes to donate my organs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I'm on the organ list.

I used to donate blood but they told me not to anymore due to low iron and delicate veins.