+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Beware of buffets / heaters - dizzy

Hello everyone, I wrote about this about 2 weeks ago on another forum and I have researched more. I'm not an expert but better safe than sorry. My sister is also pregnant but slightly before me. That's just fantastic. However she became dizzy and nauseous while at a buffet before Christmas. She was working there. Every time she moved away from the buffet chafing dishes and heaters she felt better. I googled this and there's others who have had the same, especially in the US and Canada where more than one heater was being used. The burning heaters keeping food warm can give off carbon monoxide. It's a poison. That's not good for anyone, let alone unborn babies or kids. We are concerned for my sisters baby and we don't think this is right. I know, the world is not perfect. Sarah

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, you seem quite serious about this but I feel a bit in the dark. If you have researched then give us the information. With all the safety info around, surely there would be rules and regulations about this. Happy to support if it's real. Not trying to be negative- just need facts. We love our breakfast buffets on Sundays. Hate to think I will be poisoned by more than food! J

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello, a bit rushed. See section 5 and 6. I don't think I'm over reacting. Neither does my sister. There's loads of this on the internet. I know that doesn't mean it's true but this is an official doc. What do others think? See. http://www.hubert.com/is-bin/intersh...f/na/81677.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You know that this is a liquid fuel for an American company based in NY. There health food service is not as strict as ours in aust. Buffets here are controlled but boiling Water and steam under the serving pans

But also being pregnant you should stay away from them anyways

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Sarah, your information is so valuable. I am surprised about this. Also we don't have better standards than the USA because I have seen the liquid fuel at my Sunday buffet in Sydney. Surely the restaurant should have a sign. Where I work we have signs regarding these sorts of risks. J

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello everyone, I Believe in providing the most healthy environment for my children. To do this I like to know if something is harmful. I don't understand why we are not informed so at least we can keep a distance from these burning wicks especially when pregnant. And how about children who are breathing at the hight of the burners. And I have seen a young boy trying to touch the wick flame at a buffet last year. So your thread is much appreciated Sarah. Surely your sister should complaine to her boss. She should do this as soon as she can, sorry that's my opinion. Plus even though it's old I found this. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...01419-0054.pdf
    Quite simply these things look dangerous. Why wait until someone is hurt? Hotels could a message out so people are informed. And pregnant mums should be told to stay away from wicks while working. Sorry rambling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with what you write Julie. Thanks for the link. My sister did talk to her boss. Supposedly he said she was over reacting. He said it was just because she was pregnant. How about that! And this is a very big organisation in Sydney. He said he has no control over what is used or even how. She did not do anything about it then because it seemed pointless. I have told her to complain for many reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Beware of buffets / heaters - dizzy

Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 08-02-2017 at 21:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I have been reading this and so decided to join. If you read the safety sheet called MSDS on chafing burners on the Australian market, it is very clear they are potentially dangerous if not handled correctly. I know some places use up to 3 burners on one chafing dish. That's a lot of carbon monoxide and other stuff. The products are probably authorised for one burner at a time, not 2 or 3. The problem is that 1 burner does not always keep the food warm enough to meet food standards. Anne

Thanks
    Reviews
    this is my first post too. Is there anyone with workplace safety knowledge on bubhub? I agree, Surely this needs to be looked at for our children's sake. I'm surprised the press hasn't got hold of this

This seems crazy to me. Sydney harbour boat tours use this catering fuel. Dangerous fuel on a boat in a confined space.

Happy and and safe Valentine's Day. Sue