+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a similar issue- DH is aussie and I have a Celtic background. we went with something that's the traditional Celtic spelling but, spelt differently, is a familiar pronunciation here. Sometimes we have to tell people how it's pronounced but after the first time it's fine.weve had a lot of unsolicited compliments on the name

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitRose For This Useful Post:

EliseLC  (27-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry about this late reply and thanks everyone for your input and suggestions!

I'm from Brittany, so most names I like are actually Breton, although many of them have a French spelling that makes it easier to pronounce.
    As I said, I like Malo, which is a boys name, it's pronounced Mahloh.
    As far as boys names go, I suggested : Malo, Titouan (but I gave up on this one, it's too hard to pronounce, I don't even know how to write it phonetically in English, maybe Tihtwann, but not exactly), Mael (Ma-el), Morgan, Luan (Lu-anh)(and it works for girls as well), Côme (gave up on this one as well, it looks to much like "come", although it's pronounced with a closed "o"), Soa and Oscar (which is not actually French, so it's our best bet so far).

And for girls I liked Maelle (the girl's equivalent of Mael, pronounced exactly the same), Alea, Ael and Shiloh (not French either, but I love it) or Willow (again, not French, so a solid contender as far as my partner is concerned)

It's good to read that quite a few people decided on a culturally significant name, even if it means having to spell it out. I know it can annoying, I have to spell my surname at least 2 or 3 times every time someone has to write it down (luckily, my first name being Elise, it's quite straight forward), but I think it's worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EliseLC View Post
    Sorry about this late reply and thanks everyone for your input and suggestions!

I'm from Brittany, so most names I like are actually Breton, although many of them have a French spelling that makes it easier to pronounce.
    As I said, I like Malo, which is a boys name, it's pronounced Mahloh.
    As far as boys names go, I suggested : Malo, Titouan (but I gave up on this one, it's too hard to pronounce, I don't even know how to write it phonetically in English, maybe Tihtwann, but not exactly), Mael (Ma-el), Morgan, Luan (Lu-anh)(and it works for girls as well), Côme (gave up on this one as well, it looks to much like "come", although it's pronounced with a closed "o"), Soa and Oscar (which is not actually French, so it's our best bet so far).

And for girls I liked Maelle (the girl's equivalent of Mael, pronounced exactly the same), Alea, Ael and Shiloh (not French either, but I love it) or Willow (again, not French, so a solid contender as far as my partner is concerned)

It's good to read that quite a few people decided on a culturally significant name, even if it means having to spell it out. I know it can annoying, I have to spell my surname at least 2 or 3 times every time someone has to write it down (luckily, my first name being Elise, it's quite straight forward), but I think it's worth it.
    I love Maelle!

My father in law is from Brittany

5. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

EliseLC  (29-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about Arlo for a boy and Willow for a girl?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No suggestions sorry, but I feel your pain. My DH is Polish (grew up there and all his family still there) so finding a name that is culturally appropriate on both sides, able to be spelt the same in both languages and pronounced at least almost the same and is turning into an impossible task. A few nice names in Polish just sound totally bogan to the Australian ear (ie. too many z's, y's etc)

I have found exactly ONE boys name that fits all the criteria and that I actually like, and DH HATES it with a passion. I just want to tear my hair out (and secretly hoping we just have a girl lol).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ivyninja For This Useful Post:

EliseLC  (27-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love the girls name Elodie. It's so pretty!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

WaitRose  (27-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My father in law is from Brittany
    Did you get to visit? It's a nice place for a holiday ^^ (go in summer though, the climate is pretty cool and rainy)

What about Arlo for a boy and Willow for a girl?
    I do like both those names! But Arlo in French sounds quite close to "Charlot" (silent "t"), which is an older slang for basically "alcoholic bum".

No suggestions sorry, but I feel your pain. My DH is Polish (grew up there and all his family still there) so finding a name that is culturally appropriate on both sides, able to be spelt the same in both languages and pronounced at least almost the same and is turning into an impossible task. A few nice names in Polish just sound totally bogan to the Australian ear (ie. too many z's, y's etc)

I have found exactly ONE boys name that fits all the criteria and that I actually like, and DH HATES it with a passion. I just want to tear my hair out (and secretly hoping we just have a girl lol).
    Right?! It was fun at first, now it's like "Let's just call him or her Human Cub".

I love the girls name Elodie. It's so pretty!
    Elodie is very nice! But it was a massively popular name for my generation and I have too many friends called Elodie to consider it for my child at this point

12. The Following User Says Thank You to EliseLC For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (30-01-2017)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What about Brittany?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (27-01-2017),EliseLC  (29-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I like Morgan and Oscar. What about Luc? Andre? Beau? Alexandre (Alex)? I adore the names Shiloh and Willow! Would Sasha or Lisette work?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

EliseLC  (29-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about Brittany?
    With Brittany we'd have that "r" problem in French, it would pronounced like a throaty "r", which changes the feel of the name quite a lot. I love the image it brings to my mind though!

I like Morgan and Oscar. What about Luc? Andre? Beau? Alexandre (Alex)? I adore the names Shiloh and Willow! Would Sasha or Lisette work?
    Beau (or the feminine Belle) is actually not given as a name in France, it's just the adjective for "beautiful" Belle might have been given a few times after the Disney movie, but it still feels the same as someone named "Beautiful" would feel in an English-speaking country.
    I LOVE Sasha! And it works for a boy or a girl just as well. I think it fits really well with names like Willow and Oscar. I'll keep it mind, thanks for the suggestion