+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Centrelink & Child Support

Hi all,

This is my first post so hopefully doing it right!

Never thought I'd be here (bet none of us did) but I am pregnant with my first child (Due early July), the father and I are not together and I will be bubs primary carer and quite possibly sole carer (single, stay at home mum to be). I am really stressed (financially) and trying to wrap my head around Centrelink and CS so that I can plan and understand exactly what I am entitled too.

I was hoping anyone could clarify/share information regarding the single parenting payment and FTB's and child support. Some q's I have;

* Does my single parent payment depend on his taxable income and/or CS?
    * Does the rent assistance component depend on his taxable income and/or CS?
    * Does both FTB A & FTB B depend on his taxable income and/or CS?
    * IF we were able to come o an agreement between us for CS is Centrelink entitled to know the details?

Any info/help/guidance would really be appreciated.

Thanks so much ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The only thing his income will affect is child support, and yes, Centrelink will be entitled to know (I think if you don't lodge a case with child support it can limit the FTB payments).

Thanks
    Reviews
    His income will affect the amount of child support you receive and that amount of child support will affect your family tax benefit payment rate. CSA do not need to know the details of your private arrangement, only that you have one. Be aware though, family tax benefit is reduced by the amount he is assessed to pay; whether he pays it or not has no bearing on the amount of FTB you receive.

When I went through this, I had a private arrangement with FOB. CSA assessed him to pay $x which reduced my FTB payments. He didn't pay child support for months, therefore I not only received a reduced amount of FTB, but no child support as well. He eventually backpaid it but it was tough - I wish i used CSA from the beginning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There is a calculator on the human services page, if you know his income roughly i would take a look just to give you an idea.

His income will determine your child support amount. Your child support amount will effect your Centrelink entitlements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep you have about 90 days from when your child is born to get csa involved..after that you ftb will reduce and if your ftb is at base rate your rent assistance stops too. Rent assistance is tied to part a..once that dips below a certain rate then it stops. You can get rent assistance with your single parent pension but it is less.

If you have private collect with csa and your ex doesn't pay then you won't get a top up of what Centre link would owe you of ftb. If csa collect for you centrelink will make up the difference at the end of the financial year.

Also if you take longer than 90 days to start a casw with child support your back payment would start from that date and not from when your kid is born.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app