+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Share your water birth experience please!

Ok so I'm due with number 4 in July but due to being a high risk pregnancy I have to have him at 38 weeks (induced) however my wonderful OB is allowing me the full experience of a water birth.

I would love to hear some experiences. I really feel I have lots to learn as my previous births were all on my back in a hospital bed.

Did you still need pain relief?
    Was your partner in the water with you?
    Did the water help with pain?
    Positive or negative experience?

Anything else you can add?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a water birth with my DS.

I managed most of my labour at home and arrived at the hospital about 50 minutes prior to delivery. When I got there I went to straight to the birth centre and my midwife started filling up the bath. When I got in she went to check DS's heartbeat with the doppler but I went to the bathroom first and my waters broke. She couldnt get the HB while standing up so i laid down for like 2 mins while she checked and I went into the shower while I waited for the bath to fill.

I then got in and leaned over the edge. I found it helpful to circle my hips around in the water and hum/sing songs to myself.

My second stage was only about 8 mins so I probably was only in water about 15 mins all up. What I didnt realise is they wanted me to deliver the baby myself which I didnt do because holding onto the edge was helping me keep control. My midwife had to lean over and deliver the head.

I didnt have any other pain relief. DH was outside the bath.

Water definitely helped with the pain and the pressure with crowning.

Still had a 2nd degree teae because I pushed instead of letting him come naturally.

I LOVED my birth with DS. I have such fond memories have that day. It was so special.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a water birth with one of mine, it's usually very "hands off" from the midwives and you usually have to birth the head with just their direction only. I loved it, it was a very unique experience and at first I wasn't sure if I liked it , I wasn't sure if the water was giving me enough pain relief so I stood up and had a contraction away from the way and dropped straight back in as the difference was amazing. I would have liked the water a bit warmer, and when I had mine is was basically in a normal bath so it was a bit tricky (as I wanted to be on my knees not lying back) to make sure I had enough of me under the water for the birth, but they have revamped and got nice big spa style baths now I'm pretty sure your only allowed gas for pain relief and nothi else. Definitely worth giving it a go!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stacey10 For This Useful Post:

FrenchP  (28-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I LOVED my water birth (5 months ago).

I had a land birth with my first and a water birth with my second. Both were posterior babies.

Land birth I had morphine and gas. Horrible birth experience. But my water birth I had no pain relief and loved it. I had a second degree tear with both.

I enjoyed the shower while they filled up the bath.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave birth to my son two weeks ago and had a water birth. My contractions escalated pretty quickly but once I got into the water I was so much more comfortable. It was instant relief.

I had gas for about 20 mins to help with breathing.
    My partner sat on the side of the tub and held me up as I was in a squat position during transition.

I loved the experience, a mirror was used so I could see how I was progressing, the midwife and obgyn were hands off, monitoring bubs heart rate and talking me through it so I felt in control.
    The best part was reaching down and bringing my boy into the world.

This was my first birth so don't have anything to compare it to, but I think back on it as the most amazing experience and would recommend it!
    That being said some women hate it apparently, but it's worth a go!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsh1984 For This Useful Post:

FrenchP  (28-03-2017)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    Ok so I'm due with number 4 in July but due to being a high risk pregnancy I have to have him at 38 weeks (induced) however my wonderful OB is allowing me the full experience of a water birth.

I would love to hear some experiences. I really feel I have lots to learn as my previous births were all on my back in a hospital bed.

Did you still need pain relief?
    Was your partner in the water with you?
    Did the water help with pain?
    Positive or negative experience?

Anything else you can add?

Thanks
    My water birth was amazing. Incomparable to my bed birth.

No I didn't need pain relief. I did use gas towards the end but that was more to help me concentrate on pushing evenly.

Not in the water, no. She could've been but it wasn't necessary. I had my midwife to my left and my partner to my side.

The water was amazing pain relief. It dulled it to a level where it was bearable without drugs.

Super positive experience. I got up and was comfortably able to walk around afterwards. Was home 6 hours later. Recovery was a breeze compared to my first! I LOVED my water birth and would do it the same all over again!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

FrenchP  (28-03-2017)