+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birth after previous post partum haemorrhage

Hi I am 13 weeks pregnant with number 5 (surprise 😲)
    So my last birth, Dd3 my 4th baby ended up with me having a post partum haemorrhage as my uterus did not contract properly.

No one could really give me a reason as to why this happened. She was a big baby.....4.65 kilos and I did feel that I was a little pressured to get up to shower. I asked for a little longer to rest but the midwife insisted I get up and when I stood I got very dizzy and had to lie down. I started to feel faint then and started to bleed out. I don't know if these things contributed or not.

I ended up staying in hospital for a week and having a blood transfusion.
    After I gave birth to DD7, my 3rd baby, I did bleed heavily but they decided it was less than a litre so I could go home the next day and had a quick recovery.

So my question is if anyone has experienced this and gone on to birth another baby and what was the outcome? I will discuss with the Dr and midwife team, but just interested in others experiences.
    What management plan was put into place? Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi sorry to hear u had PPH
    I have only had two kids but I have had PPH with both. After my first the ob planned for the event of a PPH with my second likely.
    I was in better health with my second and the labour was a breeze but I actually haemorrhaged worse. It still doesnt deter me from trying for a 3rd.
    I guess because it has been so long.
    They lots of treatment on hand to help with bleeding coincidentally my PPH for both were not the same,

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cherry18Bloss For This Useful Post:

RoseMay  (25-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Could it have been accreta?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Could it have been accreta?
    No one ever mentioned that possibility. How do they know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry18Bloss View Post
    Hi sorry to hear u had PPH
    I have only had two kids but I have had PPH with both. After my first the ob planned for the event of a PPH with my second likely.
    I was in better health with my second and the labour was a breeze but I actually haemorrhaged worse. It still doesnt deter me from trying for a 3rd.
    I guess because it has been so long.
    They lots of treatment on hand to help with bleeding coincidentally my PPH for both were not the same,
    Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry you went through that twice!
    I suppose I'm not really scared. I have faith they can stop the bleeding. I suppose worst case is I have an emergency hysterectomy...not ideal but won't be needing my bits any longer 😀

I have had pretty short labours so just need to make sure I make it to the hospital in time. My 3rd was under 2 hours and only just made it into the delivery room! Baby 4 was under 4 hours, but now we live 5 mins from the hospital whereas before was half hour drive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 3.5L PPH, I didn't go on to have another birth we decided on adoption instead due to a few factors, but advice if I had gone for another pregnancy was to have a repeat c-section as my long labour prior to emergency c-section was potentially a factor in the uterine atony, and to be near to a major hospital in weeks leading to birth. DD was a small baby so that wasn't a factor. Also they would be aware of the risks, more regular midwife checks post-op, blood on hand, and they were going to keep my c-section open for longer to ensure bleeding had stopped before ending the surgery. I had b-lynch suture to stop bleeding last time but they weren't going to put another just in case due to risks of complications (which I had so I understand that).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow bezzy..thanks for sharing your story. That sounds very intense. Absolutely understand why you would not want to give birth again. I am sorry you went through that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseMay For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (25-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi RoseMay I've had 2 births both with PPH & needing 2 blood transfusions both times. The second time round I went into surgery where placenta was manually removed & a bachary balloon was used to (I think) help my uterus contract back down. I'm pregnant with third, so doctors are preparing in case by having cannula ready to go - with drugs to help contract uterus etc. I'm a little nervous because I know how crappy it feels to lose that much blood & look after a newborn, but hoping this time I'll be lucky. All the best.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green tea For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (25-01-2017),RoseMay  (25-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks green tea. Yes I couldn't believe how weak I felt. I didn't have the blood transfusion till 5 days later as I didn't really understand that I couldn't get better by myself. It is a much longer recovery.
    Wishing you good luck too! :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really feeling you ladies. I had blood transfusions x 2 both times but I'm a negative blood type so I had to have o neg blood the second time and now I have antibodies?? I'm a neg
    I can't remember what drugs they gave me suppository and a drip

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cherry18Bloss For This Useful Post:

RoseMay  (25-01-2017)