+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I believe mod cons such as washing machines, dishwashers, power steering, power tools, taps that take a flick to turn on or off, cleaners that require less scrubbing, food prep tools, easy push strollers etc are minutely making us weaker and weaker adding up over the years and generations.

I honestly think wall:e is a prediction of our future.

A bunch of weak fatties with no muscle tone rolling around with everything done for us
    Yes!! That movie is scarily prophetic. ...not at all hard to imagine humans like that with their heads stuck in a screen.

DH had a discussion with the kids last night about them being able to survive in a world without electricity, shops etc. If our society crumbles for whatever reason will some survive out in the wild because they know how to, while others turn desperate looting and stealing??

I know, it sounds like a sci fi movie!!! For the record DH is very strong, he's not a big man but has a physical job. And would definitely survive out in the wild. I think he is a little disappointed that DS13 couldn't care less and just says he'll order pizza on his phone 😞that probably sums up the future generation....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Where did the Facebook post come from? Was it a group or individual that posted it? Something like 60% of Aussies are overweight. While they carry the extra weight on themselves adding another 12kgs in the form of a kid is too much.
    I think if a person hadn't done any exercise ever and was maybe carrying a bit more weight then baby carrying would be hard.
    I think it's the case of the fact there's always an easier option out there, for most things we do in life but carrying your baby is one of the things people still do. Possibly it sounds like not for much longer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It was a parenting group/blog I think. They shared an article about the benefits of carrying a toddler.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Hopeful37  (25-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's true, didn't think about the benefits of carrying a toddlers. Most of the time carrying kids is just part of daily life. But it is great incidental exercise to keep/ get us strong. Though like most incidental exercise these days there are to avoid doing it. This must be the latest

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm quite overweight but I rarely have problems lifting/carrying. I think because (like previously mentioned in here) I am stubborn. I don't like to ask my husband to carry things for me.
    I was at Bunnings a while ago, grabbing cement. I was parked in the trade section but opposite end of the aisle as another car was there. I was doubling the 20kg bags up and carrying them to my car (so 40kg) and I had the lady in the other car look on in horror. I made several of those trips.

I also frequently carry two of my kids at a time, my smallest is 12kg. I have on occasion carried 3 but that's more of an awkward thing rather than heavy.

We do big shops as we live out of town and so I often end up carrying our 42L esky, full, inside on my own. I am fine to change tyres. I carry heavy pallets or wooden poles around when we are doing stuff in our yard.

During my 1st pregnancy, I got a flat tyre when I was 8 months pregnant. It was harder carrying the tyre then as I had to carry it out and away from my body. But still doable.

Not trying to make it sound braggy. More just to point out that I think it definitely might be a lifestyle thing. I feel satisfied when I can carry a big heavy thing by myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think there are so many factors contributing towards people not lifting as much. I'm going to talk in overall general society, because obviously these things aren't the case for everyone.
    Generally we're less active - our muscle tone is less. Many people are sitting all day, we don't have to put such physical effort into cleaning etc, and we have aids to help with things that *may* cause injury.
    We also generally have weaker core strength because of the above. Which means our capacity to lift is going to be less. If our core strength is less we're more likely to hurt our backs when we lift which makes us hesitant to lift larger and awkward weights.

My 2 year old is only just over 10kg, I have no problems lifting and carrying him, even on top of my giant baby bump at the moment. I do confess that I am finding carrying him for longer distances harder at the moment because I just get so short of breath with him squishing my lungs from one direction and bub from underneath. I also decided to squat down next to a bike with him in my arms at child care this morning. Getting up (with him still in my arms because he didn't want to get down), was super difficult. But, I've had 2 years to build up to his weight. He hated the pram and I often ended up carrying him instead of using the pram, because it was just easier. I may struggle to carry him if he had put on weight faster and hadn't built up to the weight more slowly? He's also wiggly and constantly trying to get down and changing his centre of gravity all over the place which I imagine would be harder with a heavier child, but (when he isn't kicking off my bump), I don't have any problems with him at this point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could it also be that as a society we are shifting away from carrying babies in our bodies? So just not used to it anymore? Prams/bouncers/swings being used more often?
    I wear my babies in carriers/wraps a fair bit, i also consider myself quite physically strong compared to other women I know, but I often think when I pick up one of my kids & carry on my hip " how the heck to people to this all day - it's so awkward"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    I think there are so many factors contributing towards people not lifting as much. I'm going to talk in overall general society, because obviously these things aren't the case for everyone.
    Generally we're less active - our muscle tone is less. Many people are sitting all day, we don't have to put such physical effort into cleaning etc, and we have aids to help with things that *may* cause injury.
    We also generally have weaker core strength because of the above. Which means our capacity to lift is going to be less. If our core strength is less we're more likely to hurt our backs when we lift which makes us hesitant to lift larger and awkward weights.

My 2 year old is only just over 10kg, I have no problems lifting and carrying him, even on top of my giant baby bump at the moment. I do confess that I am finding carrying him for longer distances harder at the moment because I just get so short of breath with him squishing my lungs from one direction and bub from underneath. I also decided to squat down next to a bike with him in my arms at child care this morning. Getting up (with him still in my arms because he didn't want to get down), was super difficult. But, I've had 2 years to build up to his weight. He hated the pram and I often ended up carrying him instead of using the pram, because it was just easier. I may struggle to carry him if he had put on weight faster and hadn't built up to the weight more slowly? He's also wiggly and constantly trying to get down and changing his centre of gravity all over the place which I imagine would be harder with a heavier child, but (when he isn't kicking off my bump), I don't have any problems with him at this point.
    Well said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bumping. I think this is an interesting thread and curious as to what others think

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

amyd  (25-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think we're becoming weaker. In my case anyway, my normal
    weight is around 55kg. I can change a tyre, carry heavy groceries, carry my 2 year old etc. DH is a lot stronger than me though as he does weights and so I will get him to do the heavy lifting when he's around to avoid injuring my back. I've done it before and it's the pits.

I can carry my 13kg toddler but I'm
    26 weeks pregnant and very reluctant to do this too much now. I did baby wear him until he was around 18 months but stopped after that as I was finding him too heavy for long distances and it was hard on my back.

I also don't wish for him to get used to being carried all the time (this is what he wants) as he needs to walk short distances himself or sit in the pram. I'm not going to be able to carry him half as much when baby arrives and don't want him getting a rude shock, so he's being weaned off being carried so much. I also don't want him to become a lazy kid and refuse to walk for himself!