+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Is society becoming physically weaker?

This stems from a FB post I just saw about babywearing where people were saying that they can't carry their child because they are too heavy. Some people were complaining that 12kg was heavy. I've also seen people say that they can only just carry a baby capsule with a newborn in it.

Working as a GP vet I used to regularly carry 20kg animals and semi regularly would carry more and could lift a 30+ kg newborn calf alone.
    Hubby can carry items that I've seen 2 men struggle with.
    Neither of us work out or do anything extra to maintain this strength so I'm wondering are we abnormal?

As a society are we getting weak? And why? Is it impacting on our ability to function normally (things like carry children or change a tyre)?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (25-01-2017),Phony  (25-01-2017)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I'm petite and can still carry my ds who is 17.5kg short distances. He is reaching my capacity though. And we carried the capsule up until ds was about 9kg.

I'm not sure about society though...I think when it comes to carrying babies it's about getting used to carrying them. And for some people they probably are using it as an excuse. My baby was 12kg before he could walk! đŸ˜‚

Dh is very strong - he always has been but also has a very physical job. He is actually overweight but has very strong arms and legs. I don't exercise either so any strength I have is from ds.

If there is a trend...could it be dietary?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can still carry my 24kg 7yr but my 30kg 10yo harder as he's too tall to wrap around me properly but I can manage small distance.

Is it that we are becoming physically weaker or just different mindsets over the years. I'm stubborn and I hate to think that I need DH to lift things for me and I'll use sheer determination and any other means to get things done myself. I guess deep down I hate the notion that there might be things in my life I can't do or lift and have to find ways to do it myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's hard to judge when it's about carrying babies. I make long skinny babies and my friend makes short chubba bubbas. At one point, our kids were the exact same weight but I really struggled to carry him around where I had no problems with my own DD. Her weight was much more evenly distributed (Bar her giant head ) and so she felt quite a bit lighter than my friends boy who was all tummy and thighs.

My husband are both about as overweight and unfit as each other but I am freakishly weak and he's very strong. This is one of those questions where it's hard to know if people are becoming weaker or the advance of social media where everyone talks about everything is just making us aware that there are weak people out there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great question! Maybe we have become lazier? Or more cautious? I'm 34 weeks pregnant & still keep as active as I can, I can still do strenuous work, lift 20-30kgs and carry it where needed, push a sack truck with 80kgs loaded on to it. People say to me ALL.THE.TIME 'oh, you shouldnt do that/ lift that when you're pregnant'... & I'm like, 'why?' Seriously, why?! Pregnancy hasnt affected my arm muscles. I can still lift stuff! The baby isnt going to shoot out the other end because I've lifted something heavy. I get that people care, but it's annoying constantly saying 'it's fine, I can do it' all the time. I grew up on a farm, preceeded by generations of extremely tough, hardworking women. Maybe the city lifestyle has and mod con's have weakened us? I'm not sure, but am interested to hear the responses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a lot of it has to do with the fact people don't get as much heavy exercise as they once would have.
    My family was always one to exercise a lot, and do a lot of physical activity, we all had our sports we trained in 3-4 times a week plus the camping trips dad used to take us on, the sort of camping where you had to ride a bike or spend a few hours walking into.
    So I suppose what I mean is core strength in a lot of people isn't what it would be if we didn't sit in front of computers so much and drive everywhere instead of walking or riding a bike people might not have such a problem carrying such weight.
    Personally I have no problem carrying my son and having some groceries in my pack, I guess 10 kg plus him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Great question! Maybe we have become lazier? Or more cautious? I'm 34 weeks pregnant & still keep as active as I can, I can still do strenuous work, lift 20-30kgs and carry it where needed, push a sack truck with 80kgs loaded on to it. People say to me ALL.THE.TIME 'oh, you shouldnt do that/ lift that when you're pregnant'... & I'm like, 'why?' Seriously, why?! Pregnancy hasnt affected my arm muscles. I can still lift stuff! The baby isnt going to shoot out the other end because I've lifted something heavy. I get that people care, but it's annoying constantly saying 'it's fine, I can do it' all the time. I grew up on a farm, preceeded by generations of extremely tough, hardworking women. Maybe the city lifestyle has and mod con's have weakened us? I'm not sure, but am interested to hear the responses.
    Mod cons have certainly made us fatter. Years ago I read a study that showed that based on professions farmers had the largest average body weight increase when you compared the profession now to decades previously. They now have larger tractors, power tools and no longer move grain in bags (DH's hubby used to lump bags of wheat for a living - the bags weighed 80kg and he would run up the pile carrying a bag).

Thanks
    Reviews

I am petite (60kg) and as a single parent to two under two I would carry both of them often (not for long though!!) They weighed over half my body weight and I would carry them both!
    They are too heavy now they are big for their age and weigh over 20kg! But I always felt boss carrying them together!

.. just to brag

But on a more "professional level" I think it's a lot of safe lifting techniques and work safety that is being drummed into people!! Even if you can lift it by yourself you are taught to do a two person lift! I work in nursing and there is lots of equipment used in order to not put any strain on your self!!! Makes sense really back injury is easy to do!! It's not about being a hero to lift the heavy thing (except for when I carried my two kids!!!) it's about safety

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsBizMa For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (25-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

I believe mod cons such as washing machines, dishwashers, power steering, power tools, taps that take a flick to turn on or off, cleaners that require less scrubbing, food prep tools, easy push strollers etc are minutely making us weaker and weaker adding up over the years and generations.

I honestly think wall:e is an accurate prediction of our future.

A bunch of weak fatties with no muscle tone rolling around with everything done for us
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 25-01-2017 at 21:56.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (25-01-2017),Phony  (25-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It's a bit hard to make a generalisation without doing some sort of survey or something, I guess.

I can easily lift my 22kg 5 year old, and have also once lifted DP (just for fun once to show him I could). He probably weighs about 110kg I reckon. Possibly more. I don't work out at a gym anymore (did throughout my 20s though), but I do gardening and a little bit of physical work around our farm, so I definitely don't have a sedentary life.