+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Partners quitting smoking together- bad idea?

So, I'm in the process of quitting smoking. It's been 6 days now except for a slip Friday night after a few drinks where I had a couple. I started using lozenges but now have ditched them too as I don't want to be addicted to another form of nicotine.
    Anyway.. I never told my dp he should quit too as I know it needs to be a personal decision. I only asked that he smoke well away from the house to not make it harder for me. 2 days after I quit he decided to quit with me.
    And it's been crap ever since, he is doing it cold turkey from the get go and is just so angry (which I get. I'm going through it too. But I don't take it out on others) we can't see each other for 1 minute without having to restrain ourselves from blowing up at each other. I feel like I'm coping ok until I see him. I thought we would support each other more!
    He is on day 4 now and doesn't seem to be getting any better. I feel like I'm better at keeping positive about it but he just sits around and wallows in seething anger and irritation.

Google has all this advice for helping your partner through quitting smoking addiction.. but funnily enough nothing about partners quitting together. Is it doable, has anyone done it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We've both quit now but it took many attempts. We both tried to quit together once or twice and it was awful. We both agreed never again.

Not only because of the fighting and irritability, but if one slips up the other gets angry or slips up too.

You need someone to be sane, rational and calm. Otherwise it becomes this big melting pot of **** resulting in you needing a smoke. Lol.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Sairz  (24-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Problem is I've come this far and I sure don't want to start smoking again just to keep the peace, and he won't either because he is stubborn and determined (but he is also more likely to be the one to crack and start smoking again)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sairz View Post
    Problem is I've come this far and I sure don't want to start smoking again just to keep the peace, and he won't either because he is stubborn and determined (but he is also more likely to be the one to crack and start smoking again)
    I have not gone through this but maybe call someone on the quit line for advice? Or do it together?

It sounds like he is a little stubborn but maybe there are some other ways for him to quit as well.