+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Stretched - thank you so much for the tips. I'm feeling really out of control and out of options, which probably isn't helping with how anxious I am feeling. You're right. I need to change how I am thinking a bit, because they're different scenarios.

Last night I did wonder what I would do if I went into labour naturally before the section date. The senior consultant said she is happy for me to change my mind up until the point where I am fully dilated and bub's head is coming down. I also know that my drug pain relief options if I need them are, well, pretty much non-existent for me. So if I start to feel like it is getting to much at any point and I'm being reminded too much of DS's birth, I'll just call it, and go out for a section. I can also make my decision based on the time of day and what care provisions we have available for DS (not many!).

I've got an appointment next week (they're worried about my anxiety), so I will go through it in more detail and make my decisions with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were pretty lucky with our c-section. We had dd at 36 weeks due to pre-eclampsia. I had no idea what to expect before hand & no real plan. As soon as dd was born they held her up straight in front of me. They then took her away to check her. It didn't seem like she was gone for long at all. They bought her back over to me & laid her on my chest so we had skin to skin while they stitched me up. She then stayed on me while in recovery which is where she had her first feed. It was really lovely

I hope the hospital is happy to do skin to skin for you OP providing that baby is ok of course. Hopefully someone from the hospital will be able to let you know. Good luck, the thought of a c-section can be really scary. All I can do is comment on mine & it was a really good experience. I hope all goes as much to plan as possible. x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (24-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a c section just over a week ago and was able to have skin to skin. It was after a minute or two because DW cut her cord and they clamped it but then brought bub straight back and put her on my chest with a blanket over her. We were able to enjoy each other's company whilst they delivered the placenta and stitched me back up which was lovely.

I will add it wasn't an emergency situation and we warned it would only happen if bub came out crying and was in good health.

They then did her measurements and took her to have skin to skin with DW whilst I spent about 30 min in recovery.

I would speak to your hospital again. I understand not allowing it if there is a medical reason but otherwise I'm not sure what the problem is. Hope you are able to work something out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TortoiseNotTheHare For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    @Stretched - thank you so much for the tips. I'm feeling really out of control and out of options, which probably isn't helping with how anxious I am feeling. You're right. I need to change how I am thinking a bit, because they're different scenarios.

Last night I did wonder what I would do if I went into labour naturally before the section date. The senior consultant said she is happy for me to change my mind up until the point where I am fully dilated and bub's head is coming down. I also know that my drug pain relief options if I need them are, well, pretty much non-existent for me. So if I start to feel like it is getting to much at any point and I'm being reminded too much of DS's birth, I'll just call it, and go out for a section. I can also make my decision based on the time of day and what care provisions we have available for DS (not many!).

I've got an appointment next week (they're worried about my anxiety), so I will go through it in more detail and make my decisions with them.
    Don't be too hard on yourself, the decision is still pretty recent and it probably all feels so overwhelming right now - like you're studying for an exam as you want to cram on all the info available!

It really does sound like they're wanting the decision to be 100% yours. Every little thing may not go exactly how you want it to but your mindset will make a big difference to how you cope during and after. Hopefully the counselling can help you work through some of the stressors and help move you towards starting to feel positive about it all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had to have a csection due to bubba having a cystic hygroma on her neck. So no I didn't get immediate skin to skin.
    They pulled her out, weighed her and did a quick airway check and wiped her face and neck so they could have a look at the growth.
    Took about 10 mins and then they placed her on my chest for 5 mins before she was taken to neonatal for a scan.
    I didn't see her again until the following afternoon.

ETA: H had skin to skin in neonatal before coming up to my room.
    Last edited by DT75; 24-01-2017 at 14:55.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post: