+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Immediate skin to skin post c-section

For those of you who have had c-sections, did you get the opportunity to have immediate skin to skin?

I was told today that they wouldn't do immediate skin to skin, bub would be taken straight to the resus cart for suctioning, dry her off, do assessments, then wrap her and bring her over. Everything being ok, immediate skin to skin is hugely important to me, and I'm already struggling with the fact I am having a c-section, and this is really upsetting me. DH thinks I'm being ridiculous and that no one would be able to have immediate skin to skin in theatre.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had a c-sec last July with DS2. I got to touch him when he was lifted out of me but taken straight to cart for assessment. My first hold was within 5 mins of him being cleaned and wrapped but his first feed wasn't for nearly 40mins when I was in recovery

It sucks as we carry our babies for 9 months and we don't get to be the first ones to hold them

Hugs

Forgot to add

I know it's not the birth you wanted but at the end you'll have your precious baby on your arms

Try not to stress about it as that is what I did and I started crying my eyes out when they wheeled me out my room for delivery. I had the best crew in theatre with me to make me feel relaxed and they even played my favourite music to calm me down (pink).
    Last edited by babybeeno1; 23-01-2017 at 20:46.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (23-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't really remember what happened (I was very unwell it was an emergency section) but I have a photo of dd laying on me 1 minute after she was born (she was wrapped in a blanket). And she was premature and tiny. She was then taken for the check up in the theatre for a few minutes then given to DH and me to hold. I have another photo of me holding her while I'm being stitched up. She stayed with us the whole time in theatre and then came to ICU with me for a few minutes before being taken to special care to go in a humidicrib. If your baby is term and healthy I assume they will stay with you the whole time?. The only thing is theatre is VERY cold so skin on skin with a blanket over you both.
    DH was able to cut her cord in theatre and that was nice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not immediate, no. I've had 2 c-sections. First emergency. Second elective. Both times someone showed us the baby, then took them to the cart for checks etc which is only a few minutes, though DS was gone a little longer (emergency) as he was distressed and I had Meconium in my waters. Once checks were done both times, they placed the wrapped baby on my chest and I held them while they finished the stitches/staples etc. We were then taken to recovery and that is where skin to skin happened.

There is a lot going on, but it didn't feel like a huge amount of time between the birth and moving to recovery. Maybe 30 minutes? I think the main reason they wait for skin to skin is that the operating rooms are cold. Very cold! But even though they are wrapped to stay warm, you can still touch their face, hold their hand and stare at them in wonder.

I know it must be hard, but try not to get too worried or upset over it. I don't feel any less of a bond with my kids because of the delay. Seeing them and then hearing them while the checks are done isn't the same, but it's still special. We both cried both times!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (23-01-2017),Tiny Dancer  (23-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ive had 2 x c sections. Both were beautiful births and my ob and the hospital went above and beyond to make it so. I didnt have skin to skin immediately however it was only a few minutes until.i got to hold them. I was talked thru the entire process as they were doing it and had a mirror for me to see also. Midwife took a gazillion pics so hubby and i could take the whole experience in. Recovery was great, bounced back a bit quicker the second time. All the best.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Tiny Dancer, happy to chat over PM, but I demanded many 'non routine' procedures post cesarean & my private hospital respected them all - even when it occurred under an 'emergency' situation.

But yes, immediate S2S IS possible!

ETA, plus no cleaning & no wrapping. Literally straight onto my chest.

It made the world of difference to how I felt after my birth.

ETA, I felt exactly like you describe when I had to have a second CS, so did everything possible to make it as 'natural' as possible. Happy to share my birth plan.
    Last edited by YeahYeahYeah; 23-01-2017 at 21:12.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to YeahYeahYeah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I didn't but just want to say that my baby and I bonded really well. Mine was an emergency c-section and they took me straight to recovery. My husband wasn't at the birth (baby had to come real quick and my husband was working over an hour away) but he walked in as soon I was going to recovery so he was with her.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds was put right in front of my face as soon as he was born so i could announce the gender (we didnt find out before hand) then dh went with bub to do there thing and they came back with dh holding ds so i could touch him and he laid across my chest then dh had a cuddle while they moved me then I had skin to skin straight away.
    I didnt mind as dh was with him when I wasnt there and it really wasnt that long a time. I had skin to skin from when i was in recovery and while i was wheeled back to my room.

Just on a side note and I dont mean to sound harsh or upset you as I respect how you would prefer to give birth.
    But as someone that has had 2 cesars and has mourned the loss of not having a v.aginal birth. Be proud of cesar. It doesnt make you any less of a mum/woman. you are a champion for creating and carrying a beautiful baby for 9 months.
    I beat myself up for years after my first cesar thinking i was a failure of a woman. So definitely cry now and let those emotions go but once bub is here dont worry about how they arrived but be proud of what you and your dh created.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

skydancer  (24-01-2017),Stretched  (24-01-2017),Tiny Dancer  (23-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Not immediate, no. I've had 2 c-sections. First emergency. Second elective. Both times someone showed us the baby, then took them to the cart for checks etc which is only a few minutes, though DS was gone a little longer (emergency) as he was distressed and I had Meconium in my waters. Once checks were done both times, they placed the wrapped baby on my chest and I held them while they finished the stitches/staples etc. We were then taken to recovery and that is where skin to skin happened.

There is a lot going on, but it didn't feel like a huge amount of time between the birth and moving to recovery. Maybe 30 minutes? I think the main reason they wait for skin to skin is that the operating rooms are cold. Very cold! But even though they are wrapped to stay warm, you can still touch their face, hold their hand and stare at them in wonder.

I know it must be hard, but try not to get too worried or upset over it. I don't feel any less of a bond with my kids because of the delay. Seeing them and then hearing them while the checks are done isn't the same, but it's still special. We both cried both times!
    same experience here.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope I didn't either. Bub got handed to me for a quick photo and then whisked off with DH to do all the checks etc. Bub stays with DH until you come out of recovery so he did skin to skin. I got to do skin to skin once I was back in the room. Seriously though I don't feel like I missed out. It's all a blur until you get back to the room at least it was for me.

I agree I don't feel any less bonded because of it. After Bub is born you literally have him or her attached to you what feels like 24/7 indefinitely so there is plenty time to bond. I felt bad in hospital because I had a rough c section and couldn't do much for Bub in those initial first days but believe me I have made up for that ten fold now

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopeful37 For This Useful Post: