+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Please help explain my ultrasound results...

I had an appointment with my OB today - 17w1d. After a brief ultrasound he wrote on my antenatal record the following:-

"Placenta - Circumferential placenta anterior, posterior and fundal."

WTF does this mean?! Has anyone ever had this?

He didn't seem concerned, mentioning that *maybe* it was due to the fact that my gestational sac was bean-shaped early on, but I do tend to stress when I google something and can't find any reference to it.

I'm really worried

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Anterior means at the front, posterior means at the back and fundal means at the top of your uterus. I'm not quite sure how it can be anterior AND posterior, but either way it's up the top and out of the way. Doesn't sound like anything to worry about

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (23-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He said it was sort of like a lettuce cup, starting at the top and spreading down the sides, but that it wasn't low-lying....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Blossom74,

i'm not a health care professional but I wouldn't be concerned about that. It sounds as if your placenta is at the top(fundal) with some on the front(anterior) and back(posterior). The only danger I am aware of with position is with it being close to the cervix which yours is not or being anterior and low if you are having a c-section and again yours is not in that position.

As the pregnancy progresses they can migrate through growth and the womb stretching as well.

mine was anterior and low and I still ended up with an emergency c-section ok. They really just like to know where everything is.

try not to stress and take care!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deskar For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (23-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you It's been such a long road to get this far and it doesn't take much to upset the apple-cart at the moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please help explain my ultrasound results...

Might also be something to do with IVF as they like to stick the embryo right at the fundus (top) of the uterus, apparently that's the best place for them to grab hold. Sounds like your placenta is right at the top spreading partially to the front & back. Doesn't seem like a bad place to be as it's out of the way of the cervix.
    ETA: if placenta is quite high and partially at the front you will probably feel your first kicks down low!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (23-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    Might also be something to do with IVF as they like to stick the embryo right at the fundus (top) of the uterus, apparently that's the best place for them to grab hold. Sounds like your placenta is right at the top spreading partially to the front & back. Doesn't seem like a bad place to be as it's out of the way of the cervix.
    ETA: if placenta is quite high and partially at the front you will probably feel your first kicks down low!
    Funny you should mention that! I've been feeling bub since 14w6d, and yes, it's always down low, or to the far left of my belly button. Have never felt it to the right or up high.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (23-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    Funny you should mention that! I've been feeling bub since 14w6d, and yes, it's always down low, or to the far left of my belly button. Have never felt it to the right or up high.
    Ha ha yes I had I high anterior placenta with DS and felt most movement right down the bottom until quite late in the pregnancy when he turned and started kicking me in the ribs! You're nearly halfway! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (23-01-2017)