+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful37 View Post
    Both groups annoy me. The sancti mums and the way they boast about their child rearing and look down on others that don't follow.

Free range parents are just as bad if not worse. They are oblivious to their child's behaviour and let them run amok in public. What I don't understand about these parents are most of the time they have more than one kid. If it's so bad and ruins your life/ career/marriage why keep having more?? They only have themselves to blame then
    Free range isn't letting your kids do whatever they want.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Renn  (23-01-2017),YeahYeahYeah  (23-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Sorry I thought it was

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Genuine question/comment - when/how did it change from 'it's ok to suck at parenting sometimes' to 'look how much I suck - yay me I am awesome'?

Is it just that it became a competition? Wording? Too much too often (how much is too often)?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (23-01-2017),gingermillie  (23-01-2017),Tiny Dancer  (24-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not a fan of either brigade, so I agree with the article too. Some of my friends are Constance fans, and I've stopper her page appearing on mine as I do think she's borderline negligent.

But I'm also not a fan of the "parenting is tops all the time" mob either. Because it's not. I also think that attitude is extremely unhelpful for those that struggle with parenthood or have PND etc. It also seems so fake to me and puts an awful lot of pressure on yourself if you think you have to love every single second of it.

I sit firmly in the "keeping it real" middle ground. I love my kids, but to say I enjoy every minute of every day is a lie. It can be bl00dy hard work. And it's OK to admit that.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (23-01-2017),AdornedWithCats  (23-01-2017),atomicmama  (23-01-2017),delirium  (23-01-2017),gingermillie  (23-01-2017),Tiny Dancer  (24-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Maybe I'm getting it confused with the term mediocre parenting and should have used that instead of free range

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think this kind of explains Hopeful

"These mums often like to characterise themselves as Free Range parents – basically parents who don’t cotton wool their kids and allow them independence to discover the world and thus develop resilience. The problem here is that Free range families still provide their kids with quality time, parenting and boundaries. They don’t allow their child to climb that oak tree in the back yard just to get rid of them so Mummy can Facebook with her friends under the guise of resilience…. they actually believe it."

Free range parents are more easy going bc they believe it's character building. But they still provide supervision, they help with homework etc. Mediocre parenting is different.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Hopeful37  (23-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do think in some circles it has become kind of 'cool' (for want of a better word) to excessively b!tch and moan about parenting almost in a competition of who finds it the dreariest. And this give a f@ck parenting attitude has become 'cool' too.
    I also find the sanctimummies quite tiresome. I sit in the middle. Love it and ace it some days and completely stuff it up and lose my sh!t other days and count the minutes til DH is home to take over.
    I'm definitely not in the camp of being purposefully lax like that article describes. It's almost like kids have become a nuisance. Which I know they can be but this attitude is like they're permanently intrusive.
    I do find parenting difficult in general so I have to check myself sometimes that I'm not being too negative and that I don't get wrapped up in negativity.
    I don't think it's healthy to focus on negativity just to have something to b!tch to people about which is what some of this stuff feels like. It feels fake, like it's gone beyond that raw and real sharing of the realities of parenting.
    My enjoyment of parenting ebbs and flows so I think it's healthy to acknowledge that not every minute is great. But I also think (for me) it can get into dangerous territory to be too focused on the negative side.
    Sorry for the jumbled thoughts

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (23-01-2017),babyno1onboard  (23-01-2017),Californication  (23-01-2017),delirium  (23-01-2017),Tiny Dancer  (24-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't follow either of these mums so don't really know what they're about.

I'm somewhere in the middle from what I've read but in reality, I'm just trying to get through the day with my 3 kids. Sometimes that means they have toasted sandwiches for dinner.

I think the best thing any parent can do is reflect at the end of the day and try and be better the next day.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (23-01-2017),Californication  (23-01-2017),Mod-Uniquey  (23-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think this kind of explains Hopeful

"These mums often like to characterise themselves as Free Range parents – basically parents who don’t cotton wool their kids and allow them independence to discover the world and thus develop resilience. The problem here is that Free range families still provide their kids with quality time, parenting and boundaries. They don’t allow their child to climb that oak tree in the back yard just to get rid of them so Mummy can Facebook with her friends under the guise of resilience…. they actually believe it."

Free range parents are more easy going bc they believe it's character building. But they still provide supervision, they help with homework etc. Mediocre parenting is different.
    Cool thanks, yep definitely mean mediocre parenting not free range as I said. I think free range is incredibly important for kids ( within reason)

I just had a look at Constance Insta page. I didn't know much about her but had heard of that brew haha about that other blogger getting hate for her comments and that the "Constance army" was out to get her. After looking at her page I seriously don't get it. Why do people want to follow her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm the same Ginger. I'm middle of the road. I'm not a perfect mum and there are days the kids drive me nuts. I serve frozen pies for tea when I don't feel well and I do tend to yell. But I also enjoy my kids, love being a mum and am not a fan of this type of selfish parenting.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (23-01-2017)