+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Almost 6 months old and constantly waking at night

Hi parents!

So I'm really struggling at the moment. My almost 6m old ds is just waking really often at night, usually every 1-1.5hrs. I'm really sleep deprived as I also have a toddler.

He has always been quite a spewy baby so does still spew a little in his cot which often takes him a while to settle of a nighttime.

If I put him down for a nap during the day, he rolls over straight away and goes to sleep, no drama but if a nighttime it seems he just can't settle and resettle. It's not too hot/cold, he's not hungry. I'm just at a loss and desperate.

I should note that he has been rolling since 16weeks and has been crawling backwards for the last couple of weeks. Today he commando crawled.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can give me some help/tips.

Thanks, x

One super tired mummy of 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you post a bit more about the routine?
    What time do you put bub to bed at night?
    What time and how many and how long are day naps?
    Is bub on solids? How much?
    Is bub in his own room?
    Do you use a dummy? Any other comforter?
    How do you put bub to bed? Eg any rocking/bouncing etc
    I might not get a chance to reply til tomorrow sometime but this info will help, I've been through similar with my dd

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Mona424  (21-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha routine lol with a toddler and not too much help from DH there isn't one...

Usually in bed by 7:30. Usually awake for about 2-2.5hrs at a time during the day and usually naps 3 times a day. Unfortunately he only seems to be napping 40mins at a time I can't seem to get him to click over onto the next sleep cycle.

Yep solids. Just puréed food at the moment. About a couple of tablespoons 3x a day.

He has his own room and has a dummy and a little Ted.

Just a cuddle and to be honest, he doesn't really like it much. So I never get to rock or bounce or pat.

That's ok, it would be great to see how you went xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Could it be teeth? I always have worse sleep from DD during leaps and teething. DD's tend to improve quickly after the leap ends.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Mona424  (21-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought teeth too twinklify and thought maybe panadol last night and no change... could possibly be a leap with him crawling or trying to crawl over last couple of weeks...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you think he's ready to switch to 2 day naps? If he's only doing 40 minutes he might be tired enough to catnap but not tired enough to have a decent sleep iykwim? You could try stretching the awake time incrementally. My dd went to 2 naps around that time and before that we always had issues with catnapping
    If you can work on a set bedtime and wake up time as a start that might help. Going to 2 naps might lengthen the day naps and also help with going down at night.
    If he has a dummy and is waking up for that then put 4-5 in the cot with him so he can always find one!
    My dd went through a horrible sleeping stage around 6 months waking up 5+ times a night and we ended up going to a residential sleep school at 7 months and the biggest thing we got from that was going to 2 naps a day and lengthening her wake time and having a firmer routine in terms of bedtime/wake up time and feeding. She didn't start sleeping through consistently til 12 months but things got considerably better from 7-8 months where we only had 1-2 wake ups a night and no more catnapping during the day.
    I also think when they start crawling like mad they use a lot more energy which can help sleep.
    Hope it gets better soon!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Mona424  (21-01-2017)