ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Following, we haven't had them yet but it's like my worst fear!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Life is Good View Post
    My 11yo was infested. I try to check her hair constantly and she fights it. Yesterday morning she asked me to do a treatment. Not a good sign. I repeat - She was INFESTED!

I use Listerine on her. I put a towel around her shoulders (and draped over my lap). I put Listerine in a spray bottle and start at the back and spray it section by section and comb it through. I was about 1/3 up the back if her head (heading toward the front) and I had 3 adult live lice on the towel where they'd jumped trying to get away from the Listerine. I killed them and kept going. I had her entire head wet and was pulling it into a bun and another 3 adults on the edge of her hairline at the top of her neck. Killed those mothers too. Then I saw another 4 adults at the front hairline above eyebrows. Killed them. Wrapped her hair in plastic for an hour (sometimes I use a shower cap). Used conditioner and nit comb and I kid you not, she would have had 100 dead babies and another 4 dead adults. FFS! I'm doing her hair again tomorrow and every second day after that until there's no sign of anything. I'm horrified I had a nit carrier. I didn't see her scratch her head once. I last did her just before last week of school, so they've been breeding like sh1t fir the last 6 weeks. Eeeewwww.

Anyway, Listerine works. Highly recommend it - and it's super cheap. Honestly, every one I got out was dead after treatment.

Edited to add - I've straightened her hair a couple of times too, so unless I did a cr4p job - that didn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel0v3d View Post
    We bought the nit vacuum comb as it ended up being cheaper than buying the products to treat the whole family(also being pregnant I could only use select products), it was great. Only DS ended up with them but the comb got them all. The gross part was seeing them all crawling around in the filter. One comb through and it got them all.

I might try the listerine treatment before combing next time.
    I wish I never read these two posts. How on earth will I fall asleep tonight?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only lice comb that has worked for us us the licebreaker comb, which I bought at a terry white chemist.

We use the cheapest shampoo you can find to com they and kp24. Tried the eukybear stuff but it fed them not treated them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Following, we haven't had them yet but it's like my worst fear!
    Same here *touch wood*, but I'm definitely keeping an eye out on this thread for all the helpful suggestions.

Does anyone else feel the urge to scratch their head whenever you read about nits!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    moov was the only one that worked for us.

I shaved DS's hair and DD has long, thick, curly, blonde hair...pretty much a nightmare for nits.

We tried heaps of different ones but Moov was the one that finally worked. It was great too cos its a conditioner type on that makes combing easier. The KP24 was horrible...couldnt brush it though
    I might pick up some of the Moov stuff soon. The mousse stuff that I use is fine for the boys and for DD while her hair is still a bit short (due to growing out after chemo), but once her hair gets long again the mousse might not be practical, due to the quantity needed to coat her hair.

I like to always have some treatment products at home so that I can treat as soon as I see them, but also because we live 25km from the nearest shops.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    Does anyone else feel the urge to scratch their head whenever you read about nits!
    HAHA...YES!!! There was a sign at kindy last year after a few cases of nits were found. I had just lost my hair from chemo and was still scratching away

To be honest I've never found a guaranteed way to get rid of them much past comb comb comb.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zelda For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (22-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have constant nit issues due to daycare. I found he biggest difference in getting rid of them or not was all in the comb. Over the last 10 yrs I have tried every comb on the market. The best is lice breaker. It's a metal comb but has swirled grooves that get the eggs! Yes when u wipe the comb( I use baby wipes) u can see the disgusting amount off eggs that come off compared to any of the other comb. As for the hair potions I've moved away from that after usin so many I use a spray mix of neem oil, tea tree and lavender as a preventative, and use a cheep conditioner with drops of the same oil to comb out the lice and nits. Due to the life cycle I do this again in five days and a head check five days after that.
    IMG_1485073064.209774.jpg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ummi For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (22-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Neem oil. Mix in a little with shampoo and it'll soon get rid of them. It's the only thing that disrupts the female hormones and stops them reproducing. Be warned, it's a little stinky (I actually don't mind the smell), but it's toxin free and very good for your scalp and skin.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiery For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (23-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    Same here *touch wood*, but I'm definitely keeping an eye out on this thread for all the helpful suggestions.

Years ago a little girl I nannied for kept getting them and every night I'd have DH check my hair because I was convinced I felt them. I actually never had them as a child so knock on wood it continues!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default Oh dear lord- Nits!

Update:

I tried listerine- it made the kids' hair crunchy from the sugar content or something? Urghh- did not work at all.
    Licener seems to have been a winner- 2 weeks not-free now and a new bottle in the cupboard ready to go for if we ever have them again. I also had the boys' hair cut quite short because I noticed SEVERAL eggs in their hairline and I can't comment if it was the licener alone or the hair cut too, but we are nit free!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (28-02-2017)