+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How do people works around using the iPad for school? DS is behind at school and liked the leaning games amd i am trying to work that into home working time. Note sure how though. Santa bought us an iPad this year and in what to send the damn thing back to the northeast pole!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No rules here - but DD is only 4.5. She plays games on DH's iPad but just like any other activity, she moves on when she's had enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    no screens before school. This will be the first week of real homework so after homework is done.
    During holidays we dont really have rules...so long as they help out around the house when i ask them to. Which they usually do.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (21-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My kids have hardly used their iPads because we've had my in laws visiting and then we went away but they had a late night last night and we've just been to IKEA. I'm about to spend the day putting furniture together so I've told them they can play on their iPads today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default What are your screen time rules?

No rules as we don't have PlayStation/Xbox ( DS is only 6) and he doesn't have an iPad ( was able to use mine but screen smashed a few years ago and we've not used it since)
    He plays Mario cart and on his cousins iPads occasionally when we go over to their place but hasn't asked to get his own yet so I'm holding off as long as possible! When he does eventually get one I think I'll do what school recommends which is no more than 30 mins a day

Thanks
    Reviews
    ahhh I just saw this thread after I started my own about Screen free ideas for amusing my kids... !!! This is great. I definitely dont have enough rules around tech time. My 9 year old will often wake up and start playing minecraft while eating toast :/ I feel bad about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Music practice must be done (30 mins)
    30 mins of reading
    Homework

Sounds like a lot but often homework is done over a fortnight, and a big bit of it is reading/researching.

Often, they only watch tv/use iPad at the weekends.
    DSD has a phone which she is allowed to have in the evening after homework until bed. DSS has the option of tv. But they have to have done the above.

The newest rule implemented is that there is no 'change of mind' in regards to screen time- e.g. "I want to watch xyz" ok cool go for it, "This is boring I want iPad instead" NOPE. Or switching dvd choice between telling us what it is and putting it in the drive...

At the weekend we do a movie on Sat night, other than that it's tv shows or iPad or DS or phone. A max of two hours of screen time per day. So if DSD is on her phone for 30 mins and then wants to watch the movie DSS is watching, she only watches 1.5hrs of the movie.

It's sounds pretty rigid, but it works for us and the kids are *mostly* happy with it (we get the odd "that's not fair" but they can't say why so they are just whinging lol).

Have had to be pretty strict otherwise, with all the after school stuff, homework would not get done. H is pretty lax with it, so I'm the bad guy, but they know the rule and are almost always quick to turn the screen off even if all I do is walk into the room.

*no screens before school- we just don't have time as they have to be at school for 7.45am and we live an hour away*

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverClogs View Post
    How do people works around using the iPad for school? DS is behind at school and liked the leaning games amd i am trying to work that into home working time. Note sure how though. Santa bought us an iPad this year and in what to send the damn thing back to the northeast pole!
    We do any "screen homework" during the week so it doesn't impact their screen time as such. By the time we get home on any given day (7pm), they have enough time to do music practice before dinner (7.30), then homework. It is often (three-four times a week) 8pm when they are done and bed is 8.30pm so they often read or listen to music (they have non-screen mp3s).
    On the 'shorter day' (when we get home straight after school- once or twice a week- at 4pm), they do homework then music practice. Reading and writing are the priority here. Then dinner at 6pm and they are free to have screen time until 8.15pm, then bed at 8.30.
    Last edited by DT75; 21-01-2017 at 11:16.