+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Childhood absence epiliepsy.

DP and I discovered today that DS might have CAE.

We've been looking for answers for a while in relation to his zoning out and eye twitches, but still, it's a little bit of a shock.

Sorry for the spelling, damn you mobile device.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

How old is your DS?

I have taught a girl with CAE. She would zone out, eye twitch and get very odd headaches. She went into meds for it and it helped her so, so much. She is now 13/14 and her dr's seem to think she has outgrown it. I think she no longer takes meds, from memory.

It's a terrible feeling to know your child isn't 100% healthy, as well as super scary. But, hopefully as in the same case as my student, your sons condition can be controlled by meds and he grows out of it early.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

I am Brooke  (21-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, my brother has this type of epilepsy, has had it since early childhood. He no longer take meds, but he did when he was younger. It's the most misunderstood epilepsy (and scary) as people automatically think that if you're an epileptic you have a physical fit, so turns often get mistaken for being other things.

My brother didn't often twitch, he would literally stop what he was doing and stare blankly into space and would be severely zoned out and his vision would be impaired to the point of seeing everything upside down. The temporal lobe affects vision etc.

Lot's of ((hugs)) I can imagine how shocked and scared you are, but rest assured the testing/ECG's etc are amazing these days and if your little one needs meds, they're much better than years gone by. X

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you for your replies.

DS is eight and in Grade three.

We had false starts on diagnosis including dyslexia, autism, and eye sight problems.

I'm disappointed in the diagnosis delays, but late is better than never. Hopefully now we can support him in catching him up academically to his peers.
    Last edited by I am Brooke; 20-01-2017 at 17:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My sister had this growing up, with her first seizure at the age of 4. It was mostly controlled with meds although she still had the odd seizure - the worst I saw was when I was about ten so she must have been 7 and she had 4 in a row and ended up in hospital. I'll always remember it as it was a 46 degree day and they think the heat triggered it. We were sharing a room together and chatting and then all of a sudden she just zoned out and was making this clicking noise with her mouth she used to do.

Anyway, she had her last seizure at 13 I think and gradually weaned off meds, and now at 33, you would never know.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to erinn For This Useful Post: