+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Self employment, centrelink and paid parental leave confusion!

I am 26 weeks pregnant and finishing up at my casual job in 6 weeks. I'm looking at starting a consultancy business through Mary Kay to occupy me for the last weeks of pregnancy.

I'm currently already receiving centrelink benefits as I don't have a full time job.

I'm going to be 30 or so hours short of meeting the requirement for paid parental leave through my hours of paid employment, so my question is basically will my new business of consultancy count as hours worked towards the 330 over 10 months?

And, how do I report this business to centrelink as I probably won't make any profit for a while? Will I need an ABN?

I will pick it back up after the period of paid parental leave if I qualify, but that means its likely I won't make any income additional to covering my losses for at least 9 months from starting the business.

Would really love to hear any advice from others experiences before I sit on hold for hours to centrelink.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Probably be easier to just do 30 extra hours of casual work if you could. The alternative you mention you will need to set yourself up as a sole trader or set up a company so all looks legit

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

kizzyb  (20-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Would be easier to stay at your casual a bit longer to meet the requirements and set the business up in the interim times as it can take up to 6 weeks to get an abn and register for a business name if that's the way you intend to go. You also need to do a couple of short courses in finance and legal requirements to get the business name

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

kizzyb  (20-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your replies!

I am trying to get more hours at work, but they're in the process of hiring someone in my place and have to start training them while I'm still there and its not a very busy place so there aren't heaps of hours anyway but that's definitely an ideal situation!

In regards to the business side of things does anyone know if Mary Kay (like Avon, Arbonne etc) require you to have an abn, and a private business name? There's no info on their website but I assume I would find out after signing up.

Thanks!