ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by siansmum View Post
    He can always do two years of 4 year old kinder if you want him to. As a Prep teacher, I would strongly recommend that you don't start your son at school before he turns 5.
    It can be very difficult to secure funding for a child that repeats kindy though. There have to be very good reasons for them being held back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by siansmum View Post
    He can always do two years of 4 year old kinder if you want him to. As a Prep teacher, I would strongly recommend that you don't start your son at school before he turns 5.
    Thanks @siansmum

I think to do a second year of 4yo kinder you would need to cover the Vic State funding so approx ~12k for the year?
    I spoke to a school readiness assessor who said it was really difficult to get funding for an extra year - and based on my son's ability unlikely that we would get it.

Why don't they just make the intake clear cut and 12 months only is beyond me...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    He would get bored repeating 4 year old kinder!

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    He would get bored repeating 4 year old kinder!

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I agree. For now he is in childcare where they do the kinder program throughout the day/week. It's not as structured as a proper kinder. So I could see him do a proper kinder next week without being too bored

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Thanks @siansmum

I think to do a second year of 4yo kinder you would need to cover the Vic State funding so approx ~12k for the year?
    I spoke to a school readiness assessor who said it was really difficult to get funding for an extra year - and based on my son's ability unlikely that we would get it.

Why don't they just make the intake clear cut and 12 months only is beyond me...
    Technically the intake year is 1 May 2012 - 31 April 2013. Hence a child born in Feb 2013 not starting Kindy this year (and not starting prep in 2018) is referred to as "delayed entry". Delaying is very popular in Vic as the curriculum requires a heavier load of formal learning.

I taught in WA originally and their intake year is very rigid but their system supports the younger kids starting school.

DScgoes to daycare and turns 4 in early June. If we were still in WA he would be starting Kindy this year. His daycare have decided to move him into the Kindy room (being daycare they can do this, as his fees are CCB/CCR linked, so he won't technically be enrolled in the Kindy system). This means he will do 2 years of their 4 year old Kindy program. I know he will be itching to start school but don't think he'll be bored in the 2nd year of Kindy as I know enough Kindy teachers to know they will cater for his learning needs regardless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    DScgoes to daycare and turns 4 in early June. If we were still in WA he would be starting Kindy this year. His daycare have decided to move him into the Kindy room (being daycare they can do this, as his fees are CCB/CCR linked, so he won't technically be enrolled in the Kindy system). This means he will do 2 years of their 4 year old Kindy program. I know he will be itching to start school but don't think he'll be bored in the 2nd year of Kindy as I know enough Kindy teachers to know they will cater for his learning needs regardless.
    Ah that's very interesting about Childcare and kinder funding.
    I wasn't sure whether him being in the kinder room for his 2d year now was counting towards him using his 4yo Kinder funding allocation. I don't know if i make sense haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister had two kids, two years and one week apart. They were both in the grey zone of gold bagk or send. She held back my nephew but sent my niece.

Basically it all comes down to the child. My niece was more than ready. My nephew was not there yet.

My bubbas are later in the year but to be honest I would probably send them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Wise Enough I'm so undecided... I keep making my mind one way then doubting my decision. Rinse and repeat. I wish for someone to take the decision out of my hands lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ask his carers/kinder teachers.

Many say it's about the other end, they don't want them immature when they're in year 12 etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Ask his carers/kinder teachers.

Many say it's about the other end, they don't want them immature when they're in year 12 etc.
    Yes I will. I'm not overly impressed by his kinder teacher. I know that sounds awful but it's the sentiment shared by all the parents I know in that Childcare centre.
    But I'll still take their advice I'm thinking also the medical child health nurse can help? I'd like to have some independent opinions.
    People at his centre love him so much (been there every day since he was a 6mo baby... So it's like family) I think it will cloud their opinions haha