+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What do you do when little one is in bed?

I have a bad habit at night of doing what I need to do for my son after he goes to bed then sitting and playing games till I'm ready to go to bed.
    After he goes to bed my night is something like this
    • Prepare some formula in case he wants in through the night
    • Load the dishwasher and put it on
    • Do any washing that needs to be done then put it out if it's not going to rain.
    Then game time till whatever time I go to bed I try and make it 10 but lately I've felt tired but if I go to bed I just don't sleep, if I try and sleep tonight while I feel tired I won't sleep, so I'm curious what others do for themselves before going to bed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm often still doing housework til at least 10 or so. Then dealing with any kids that wake up. Might watch a show if I get time. I often go to bed between 12 and 1.
    I have just got accepted into studying so will fit that in the evenings as well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Mason98  (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have t had my baby yet but I feel similar to you in that hubby and I have dinner and we either watch tv together or he games and I watch tv...then I go to bed and think that I wasted so many hours on the couch.

I don't have the answer as I'm still working on it, but I'm trying to read more - helps me get sleepy. I'm also working on a photo book on my laptop. I'm not into crafts but I like how that can occupy time away from the screen.

Not to sound boring but screen time right before bed is not good for sleep. Maybe stop 30 mins early, shower, read and then you might fall asleep better?

I hope you get some good ideas - it's a great question to ask!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

Mason98  (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Single parents or all parents?
    I go to the gym or watch tv and do dishes/washing housework and prep for the next day, read a.book on kindle app, talk to dh, resettle kids
    Have you tried not gaming right before bed? Maybe try some exercise or reading or stop gaming half to one hour before bedtime?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

Mason98  (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    Single parents or all parents?
    I go to the gym or watch tv and do dishes/washing housework and prep for the next day, read a.book on kindle app, talk to dh, resettle kids
    Have you tried not gaming right before bed? Maybe try some exercise or reading or stop gaming half to one hour before bedtime?
    Single parents is mainly what I was aiming towards.

I have tried just not gaming at all and tried to shorten it but I still just don't sleep, I've tried to exercise, like push-ups and stuff like it but I find that hypes me up rather than helping to make me tired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I work night shift usually 5 nights a week(start at 10pm, finish just after 6:30) so those nights are out. On my nights off, kiddo is usually in bed by 8pm for school(even though on holidays currently, he is still by choice going to bed close to his bed time). Once he is in bed, I will usually chill on the couch with my phone. Usually the tv is on with a doco or something on Netflix. Sometimes I will also get into the house work. Usually I go to bed about 10:30, read the news for half hour and fall asleep.

Pending on what we had for dinner, sometimes I will leave the dishes til the following morning.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Mason98  (20-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Housework after the storm of the day from kids playing with toys. Fold and sort laundry while another load is washing then hang that out. Get the next days dinner out of the freezer to defrost on the fridge.

I'd try and cut out the gaming at night and you'll be surprised how less tired you can be but as you are also in qld the humidity is a ***** and will make you tired aswell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Housework after the storm of the day from kids playing with toys. Fold and sort laundry while another load is washing then hang that out. Get the next days dinner out of the freezer to defrost on the fridge.

I'd try and cut out the gaming at night and you'll be surprised how less tired you can be but as you are also in qld the humidity is a ***** and will make you tired aswell.
    Yeah the humidity isn't great, last night wasn't as bad as most nights, I normally leave the aircon on over night at 22c on really stinking humid nights.
    I have tried dropping the games and all screen time so no phones or ipads either but I still find myself unable to sleep, and I don't really want to go to the point of taking drugs to make me sleep.

I'm toying with the idea of keeping kiddo up another hour or two and taking him for a walk down by the beach at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I try to do housework and have a glass of wine... but 98% of the time I spend the evening re-settling her, dealing with the older two complaining about each other, and with DSS fighting going to sleep (needs toilet, drink, food, nightmares...ugh).

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was single I'd often make my own dinner after DD was in bed. She was asleep quite early. I'd experiment with new recipes and enjoy eating in peace, normally watching a show. I'd write in a journal, exercise, text/call friends. I loved those nights actually!