+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The hospital said I will have to have a drip hooked up upon arrival. Does anyone know why they do that? What's in the drip?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What was your labour experience like with constant foetal monitoring?

Quote Originally Posted by nicole83 View Post
    The hospital said I will have to have a drip hooked up upon arrival. Does anyone know why they do that? What's in the drip?
    I would ask why, if it's just in case then all women should have it as the risks are comparable to first time mums.

Are you group b positive?

Did they say drip or cannula

Thanks
    Reviews
    @nicole83 do you have Group B Strep by any chance? If so, it will be for the antibiotics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I don't have group B Strep and it was something they were saying from my first appointment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @M'LadyEm thank you so much for such a hugely detailed response! I know one OB I met with at my hospital said they wouldn't induce me at all, it would just be straight to a c-section if I went over and didn't go into labour myself, and then another I met with said they could but would just use some different methods, so maybe it depends on which Dr is on that day!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (22-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Your hospital doesn't sound very vbac supportive sorry. I had wireless CFM during my VBAC and found it very annoying. Next birth I will be refusing it as the chance of a rupture is very small (about 0.05%) and intermittent fetal monitoring is enough to catch any issues that may arise. There is also research that CFM doesn't improve fetal outcomes for birth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heids89 For This Useful Post:

Bel0v3d  (21-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Usually we just put in a cannula on arrival. Simply because if your uterus ruptures or major complications arise, we'll need IV access straight away as pregnant women fall off the perch very quickly in an emergency. Saves stuffing around trying to insert an IV during the throes of an emergency.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    @M'LadyEm thank you so much for such a hugely detailed response! I know one OB I met with at my hospital said they wouldn't induce me at all, it would just be straight to a c-section if I went over and didn't go into labour myself, and then another I met with said they could but would just use some different methods, so maybe it depends on which Dr is on that day!
    More than welcome. @Heids89 is right though, your hospital doesn't sound very VBAC friendly. Maybe have a chat to your DH and do some reading and work out what your parameters are. I.e. If you go overdue and no sign of baby, would you prefer an induction or a repeat CS? Usually at your 36 week appt is when the 'final' mode of birth discussion with the doctors happens. It's at this appointment when you need to discuss your option and your wishes. This is when they should be giving you the final decision on whether they will induce you or book a repeat CS if you don't labour. Have all your preferences ready so that you can present them to the doctors and nut it out with them.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Heids89  (22-01-2017),JR03  (22-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Usually we just put in a cannula on arrival. Simply because if your uterus ruptures or major complications arise, we'll need IV access straight away as pregnant women fall off the perch very quickly in an emergency. Saves stuffing around trying to insert an IV during the throes of an emergency.
    Thank you. This is probably what they were talking about. May I ask which hospital you are at? Curious to know if it's mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you. This is probably what they were talking about. May I ask which hospital you are at? Curious to know if it's mine.
    I'd rather not say for privacy reasons if that's ok