Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    French and EALD

I am so exhausted after my first day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In vic in my son's school he had transition day first week of December so got to meet his teacher and knows where his classroom is before he starts.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Ok, everyone needs to come back because I need some advice!

I'm wondering- how much support do you all get from leadership when you have difficult students? I have three very difficult students this year who gang up together and disrupt the 45 other students in the room.
    1 is in the middle of undergoing diagnosis as Aspergers syndrome. (I know currently this doesn't exist any more, but from professional discussions it seems the pendulum is swinging back towards reinstating the title). He hides, cries, refuses to do work saying he feels sick (but isn't sick so we have been trying to attach an emotion to this- I'm thinking anxiety?) and when he doesn't get his way, has huge behavioural meltdowns where on occasion I have had to remove all the students from the classroom for their own safety. He has safe areas to go, he is repeatedly shown strategies to clam down- technically he knows all of this, but he cannot put it into practice. He is a danger to himself, first and foremost. If I ignore his behaviour, he thinks he doesn't have to do his work, and plays, distracts other students and can be very mean.

1 is very stubborn- his own mother doesn't know what to do with him anymore. He just outright refuses to do any work, and has an answer for everything. Eg he doesn't want to stick worksheets in his book because it's a waste of paper, sticking paper to paper. He can't read because he read that morning. He can't stay in at recess because he hasn't got any play lunch and needs to go to the canteen. Don't get me wrong- I don't for a second buy his excuses- I am an experienced teacher, but it's wearing, and in conjunction with the other two I hardly get any teaching done at all.
    The third one just pretends he can't hear me. He might look like he is doing work because he might be sitting down and concentrating, but he will be colouring in all the negative spaces in letters in grey lead, just because he doesn't want to do what I have asked him to do.

When all 3 get together, they are rude, loud, leave the classroom without permission, often don't return to line after recess and lunch, are destructive, break my displays and supplies and throw things around. They climb up to the top of tub trolleys and stand and sit there and ignore me when I ask them to get down (citing it is unsafe for them and I would hate to see them hurt themselves.)

I have tried being a hard **** who doesn't take their rubbish. I have tried smothering them in love. I have tried sending them home. I have tried having mum or dad come into school to reset them. I have tried having meetings with parents- they don't know what to do themselves!

So that brings me back to my question about leadership. Term 1 our prin was on LSL. VP was acting prin, and leading teacher became acting VP. Both acting Prin and VP were very good about supporting me, and acting prin in particular by the end of term was throwing CRT's with free hours my way a few times a week because she understood how desperately I needed that extra pair of eyes and hands. They came when I called or when they were available to at least. Acting prin kept apologising to me that this class combination was even allowed to happen, even though she had no final say in it.

This term though our prin is back, and she is notoriously tough. She will tell me I am the teacher, I have to deal with it. Unless there is a child on the road (happens often enough) or in immediate danger, she won't help- even though she is happy enough to be written up in all their behaviour plans. VP is helpful but so busy with other behaviours around the school it is a bit hit and miss. Is this standard in other schools?

Have you dealt with 3 or more of these children at a time? What would you do? I spend almost all of my APT time and time after school writing up incident reports every day to build evidence on these students because no one took the time before me to do so. (Evidence sounds like a harsh word, but the school dictates when a student is deliberately destructive, insolent, rude, ignorant etc then it has to be formally reported. Because there are multiple incidents per day per child, it takes a good hour and a half for all three).

Basically I'm asking for help. Strategies. Guidance. Sympathy!

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @Mod-Nomsie 😔 you poor thing! Two questions first - how old are they? And what is your school's behaviour management policy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Ok so I have a 1/2 grade. The first and the last I described are grade 2, the stubborn one with all the answers is grade 1.
    Behaviour management- name on board plus 3 crosses = removal to buddy class. Student 1 has a meltdown and 9/10 will need to be sent home.
    Student 2 refuses to move and I have in the past spent half an hour in a hallway in a stand off with him before I got the attention of the vp to come and take over.
    Student 3 has never got to that point because when pushed, he becomes violent and he is a tall and sturdy boy- he has kicked glass doors, kicked tub trolleys etc. and when push comes to shove he is easier to ignore than the other two because he isn't as loud and disruptive so long as you don't push him into meltdown whereas without constant supervision the other two are.
    They each have behaviour management plans but... you know- you can lead a horse to water... so I can plan til the cows come home and out in provisions and anything else you like to avoid all scenarios where they shut down or refuse work but they refuse all this extra treatment, they refuse to cooperate, they refuse to even meet halfway so their plans are useless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hold it for a second why on earth do you have 45 students in one class?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie2 View Post
    Hold it for a second why on earth do you have 45 students in one class?
    Technically two classes- we team teach. But we do everything together, so under the two teachers, we have 48 children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like a doozy class for sure!

I had a shocker last year, 1 child with extreme behaviour like a spark in a box of firecrackers, setting off about 5 others with lesser behaviour issues. I was quite supported in that I could send the child up to admin/a team member's class whenever needed. I did feel a bit unsupported as the child was not getting any real consequences due to the "wellbeing" ethos of the school, behaviour that would be instant suspension elsewhere earned counselling and hugs. (One of the reasons I moved on as this system had worked in the past but the school demographic was heading downhill and the cracks were starting to show).

The biggest real help in this scenario was extra release time. Like you, all apt was spent documenting or sorting out stuff (I spent a whole lunch break chasing said child 2km down the road then negotating them back to school when they did a runner!) Plus I couldn't do running records etc during work time as the class needed constant active management with their behaviour, so extra time gave me the chance to do stuff I could normally get done within set hours.

I had another doozy a few years back and stared sending them to the class next door. There weren't as many kids to set off in that class so that teacher and I came to an arrangement to do it more and more, when it kept going well that teacher approached the Prin to ask if they could be moved into her class (we decided that was more likely to work rather than me asking to have them moved out).

That school had a lot of behaviour issues and each classroom had a 'red tag' (a cattle tag) with the room number on it. I'd that got sent up to admin then someone came running. It was only used for things like kids throwing chairs, throttling each other, throwing display stands, evacuation for safety etc (yes, I go to use it for all this and more over the 2 years there!).

DD is in a two-in-one class this year and I'm not a huge fan. Last year she was in the 3 of a 3/4 and the two classes adjoined, worked together a lot and split into ability groups across the 2 levels. Which worked well. This year she is the 4 in the 3/4 but they're doing 40+ kids together like you have. The grade 3s are much more disruptive and DD has commented on this a lot. It seems like it would, with hers and your class, be better to run the classes apart a lot and come together for some things. I know the two-in-one theoretically lightens teacher workload, but the behaviour issues caused by not being able to disperse those kids is creating even more work than what you save in planning! Definitely something to consider if admin are open to the idea.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all I'm a teacher too, secondary school though (most seem to be primary here!). Feeling a little guilty at the moment as I've done next to nothing all holidays, have a big pile of marking to do and some reading and research to do for my senior classes. I'm pregnant (6w) and I've just been so tired, I've spent most days in front of the TV. Need to get my act together!

How is everyone enjoying the break?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hetty For This Useful Post:

jackie2  (20-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations @Hetty I am starting to slowly place school work into my holiday- needs to be done.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jackie2 For This Useful Post:

Hetty  (20-04-2017)