+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have been to a meet the baby BBQ, was great and it made the mum feel good too. We had my girls christenings, Where everyone met bub. They were christened from 6 weeks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma  (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bub will be born in Feb, but we aren't going down to see family til July. Our parents will come up to see their new grandchild in Feb and March, but I have no expectations that anyone else will fly up. In July we were planning on having a baptism/birthday party for DH and I. I suspect that any family members who want to meet bub will come to that. We'll hire a hall and get it catered... or maybe just have it at the bowling club so we don't have to clean up afterwards!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did something similar with both of ours but just with friends as our family was with us a lot to help.

It was a lovely way to celebrate bub & we did a champagne toast to them.

Definitely recommend an afternoon tea so you can just buy stuff for nibbling.

We have also attended one. Mumma & bub were doing there own thing inside 95% of the time & no holding baby but we all got to see bub & it still felt special.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to YeahYeahYeah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did something similar (hadn't heard of a sip and see and didn't want a baby shower) and I called it 'Cuddles and Cupcakes'. My mum and mother-in-law made the cupcakes and I bought a few other treats. The invite had a time frame and hubby made it very clear when he started clearing plates that the 'party' was over.
    I thought it was great fun! Bub was about 2 weeks old I think. Both my mum and mother-in-law loved it too so they went on to hold ones for their friends on the following weekends where I just turned up with bub and all the dear old ladies had a cuddle and gave wonderful advice.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Westylu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DS3 is due in Feb and I'm having his baptism followed by a party/lunch thing for all family and friends on April 9th. By then, he will have had some vaccinations for whooping cough and will be about 3 months old. My other boys were 6 months when baptised, which is a good age I think - not teeny tiny but not old enough to run away or be silly; just at that adorable baby stage!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wickedly Happy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeahYeah View Post

We have also attended one. Mumma & bub were doing there own thing inside 95% of the time & no holding baby but we all got to see bub & it still felt special.
    That's great to know!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didnt have a baby shower, and personally wouldnt have had a welcoming baby party - I spend like 90% of the first month breastfeeding. My newborns all fed roughly every 3 hours and took a good 1.5 hours to feed, then I had to express milk and top up the baby, so I feel like it would be a waste of time for people to come and look at the back of my baby's head while I fed 😂 and then listen to the sound of a breast pump while I express under a blanket, lol. But if you feel it will be right for you, go for it! Maybe dont lock any plans in until after the baby is born so you can change if you need to?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Maybe dont lock any plans in until after the baby is born so you can change if you need to?
    I think this is a great idea. I was so sore (fractured coccyx and 3rd degree tear, and then the breastfeeding pain and general muscle aches and pains), and so fatigued that while I loved my visitors, I only wanted 2 a day. I needed to rest, and I didn't want people in my house while I was trying to rest. I also found my 3 year old niece hard to cope with - but then no one supervised her or stopped her from doing stuff she shouldn't have been doing. I think if I hadn't had my coccyx fractured maybe I would have been more up for a party. But then again, maybe not 😂

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Hopeful37  (19-01-2017),Yogis Mumma  (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I organised a 'Welcome to the world' party for my cousin. I intended to hold the baby shower for her but her bub came 7 weeks early.

It was great. I just arranged with the other cousins to bring food to make a bit of a high tea type spread and had everyone come over for 2 hours to have tea and champagne and meet the baby. My cousin loved it and said it meant she didn't get an influx of a million visitors every day because people knew there was a get together arranged to meet bub.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never done such a thing, but I would be worried about illnesses/ whooping cough boosters personally. That's only because of some of our family members nonchalant attitude towards illness and newborns though