+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    We've been encouraging ds to help clean up recently when he wants to get a new toy out. ie. You can get that out but first you need to put x away. If he refuses I ask if he needs a hand and I insist he helps. He's 3. Most of the time he's really good. If there's a huge mess, pack it up together and make it a game (like how many things can you pick up in a minute).

Hide away all the rotated toys - I'd be inclined to put them somewhere other than your daughter's bedroom. Ds's toys are in our front hall cupboard, I don't think he even knows they are in there. Decluttering is great too - if you have less stuff it makes pack up so much quicker even on days everything gets pulled out. Also confine the toys to one part of the house. Our house is small so the lounge is also the toy room. Toys rarely get taken out of the lounge.
    Yep. We do this too. I started when she was 15 months. She's pretty good. We also have a tidy up time song we sing lol

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-01-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly, i would be grateful for your mum's care of the kids (which i am sure you are- looking after them all day from 6am is awesome beyond words) and suck it up even though i would feel crappy when i got home. Maybe try to implement toys in bedroom only or do a serious cull of toys that aren't necessary. There are alot of bits and pieces there! In time, i would try to get the kids to tidy up when you got home, depending on how old they are.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-01-2017),yadot  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My house looks like that every day but I'm a sahm. I put it away the kids pull it out.
    Regardless of the situation with your mum there is too much stuff hun. I say that empathising because we are the same.
    Cut it in half anyway you can. What you can't get rid of can you store somewhere out of sight? You can get plastic boxes you can actually put padlocks on at Bunnings lol
    I have them and haven't gone that far yet but have considered it!
    I would try to get your mum into making them eat in one area only.
    But yeh I think you will find it much easier if you can cut the stuff down to start.
    Good luck and you are amazing to be working like that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Whinge o'clock.

Thanks all for your replies!
    @littleriv you've hit the nail on the head. I'm loathe to complain and just suck it up as she does this for free and as @michellead alluded to I think mum's a bit overwhelmed with the two girls. She doesn't take them out as I think she's not confident in juggling the pair.

Also it's a combination of her never considering a tidy house to be important - and I am no clean freak at all - and also too much stuff.

I should clarify it's not everyday I work- sorry slight exaggeration just every day I come home from work (3/4 days a week).

I should push dd1 a little more and try and emphasise how nice it is to have things in their place so you can find things and also not attracting cockroaches - a big thing for her lol.

I know it won't be like this forever but yeah, today just really got to me, it does get to me after a rough day, and I'm embarrassed about our carpet and lounge.

Much to think about to try and find a solution to keep us all happy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That must be so frustrating, but it'd be hard given that she's helping you out.

Personally, I'd be insisting on food at the table only, explaining how it'll be so much harder for your DD at school if she's used to having free reign. I'd also be getting rid of most of the toys. Way too much stress than they're worth! When we have lots of toys, the kids tend to flit from one to another, the house gets covered in crap and they don't really engage in anything much. When we have fewer toys it's better all around.

Hope you can find a solution that works for you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (19-01-2017)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I think there's a fine balance between sucking it up because your Mum does it for free and making sure your kids are well cared for, especially when she is looking after them for such as long day - it's a huge part of their life and setting up good habits/routines/rituals/whatever now will help later on. Your Mum isn't just "babysitting" your girls, she is a huge part of their daily lives so while you should let small things go, other things you might need to enforce/chat to her about regardless of whether she's paid or not. After all, even volunteers can have good work ethic right?

You mention she might be reluctant to take the girls out...I think this might help heaps. Ds will often start throwing toys around randomly when bored so if they can get out of the house even for half an hour or so it might prevent some of the mess.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    It must be frustrating but in all honesty.. I'd happily swap with you and you can pay the child care fees =\

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, i can understand your mum feeling overwhelmed. Mine did too when looking after my 2 little boys. I did too lol. I reckon you're all doing a great job in the circumstances x

16. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel your pain. It's just neverending.

Since you have tubs for the toys how about making 'weekly' tubs and rotating them that way. The other tubs will need to be put/locked away though.

Since your eldest DD is 4 maybe a responsibility chart might work? To get ready for school?

Stuff like sitting and eating at the table only. Throw rubbish/wipe up crumbs etc. Pack up toys.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (18-01-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not sure if has been suggested but could your mum stay the night at your place saves from getting up the crack of dawn that way she is more refreshed in the morning when the kids get up or could the kids stay at her place that night and you leave 1 tub of toys and if the house gets messy which I doubt it would as mum would have to clean it up. I'd flip if I came home to my house looking like that well actually I'd be screaming the house down.
    My folks will be having DS2 when I go back to work but they refuse to come to mine so I go to there's, they aren't to far though just around the corner

20. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post: