+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would lose my mind if I came home to that every day!!
    Can't she make them pack up things before they get the next thing out?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could you organize things for them to do together on the proviso that your DD picks her toys up? Like vouchers to the movies or indoor play park and your Mum can take them there once a week but only if she tidies up?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah that would drive me crazy. My DS is 3.5 and I expect him to pick up his toys so I don't think it's too much to ask for your DD to help.

We started with just packing up once a day but have now moved onto only having one toy out at a time. It makes such a difference coming home to a mostly tidy house.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber4304 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Omg that sounds so stressful. I'm lucky my mum usually does a bit of a tidy up before I come home. Though it drives me crazy that she lets ds get into things he shouldn't or let him use things inappropriately (like play with dvds until they scratch) and lets him watch tv all day. I love childcare days - ds is stimulated and I come home to a clean house. 😁 Maybe she could look after the girls ar her place?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bel2466 View Post
    How old is your eldest? Could you tell your mum you really want DD to start learning to pack away her toys when she has finished, can she try to play a few "packing away games" with her to get the hang of it ?
    Would also de-clutter/spring clean and try to put a lot of stuff away on rotation
    I second this. It helped us.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (18-01-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (18-01-2017)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @LittleMissSunshine if it makes you feel any better my house looks like this most of the time as well, and I feel just as despondent when I get home from work. Unfortunately for me, I only have myself to blame for it 😔.

It's hard I know because your mum is helping you out so much, but I think it's ok to ask for her support in that.

Your DD1 is old enough to help for sure, and maybe you could ask your mum to help you teach DD get into the habit of cleaning up like she'll have to for kindy and school?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Whinge o'clock.

@Little Miss Sunshine my house often looks like that and it drives me mad.
    I'd hate to come home to that too. Especially after working all day.
    When my house looks like that it's because I left it that way which I can at least rationalise!
    I agree with the "we're teaching the girls to clean up" strategy
    Big hugs xxx

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    We've been encouraging ds to help clean up recently when he wants to get a new toy out. ie. You can get that out but first you need to put x away. If he refuses I ask if he needs a hand and I insist he helps. He's 3. Most of the time he's really good. If there's a huge mess, pack it up together and make it a game (like how many things can you pick up in a minute).

Hide away all the rotated toys - I'd be inclined to put them somewhere other than your daughter's bedroom. Ds's toys are in our front hall cupboard, I don't think he even knows they are in there. Decluttering is great too - if you have less stuff it makes pack up so much quicker even on days everything gets pulled out. Also confine the toys to one part of the house. Our house is small so the lounge is also the toy room. Toys rarely get taken out of the lounge.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Little Miss Sunshine i would feel like crying if I came home to that after work and I'd be pretty angry too.
    I can see you're in a predicament because it doesn't seem like your mum puts cleaning up high on the priority list and you don't want to p!ss her off as she's helping you out.
    So the only things you can really influence are how many toys they have access to and your DD1s attitude to the toys/mess/clean-up. Maybe start with really restricting access to toys so box up 75% of it all and pack away out of their reach maybe in the roof or your wardrobe or in your garage. You can still bring them out on days you're home to control things just get a box out the night before when the kids are in bed.
    Also as other posters said can you focus on getting dd1 to help with tidying/cleaning jobs on days you're home for a good few weeks and once she's used to it and really involved tell your mum that it's non-negotiable dd1 must help out. If dd1 is pretty compliant with it then maybe your mum won't feel like 'bad nanna' for getting her to tidy up.
    But yeah pretty gross that your mum leaves the place like that it must make your day so hard, I'm sorry

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Woah.
    Are you paying your Mum? If yes then I would have a frank discussion with her, it is too much for you to come home to this (everyday?!) after a long day at work.
    As someone who cannot stand crumbs, we have a small table in the kitchen with a mat underneath and that is where DS eats and drinks, it sounds harsh but honestly it just keeps all of the 'food mess' in one place. I have books and little dinosaurs on the table to keep him occupied. No food in the living room (we only have a tiny 2 bedroom flat).
    Can you set out some activities to for them to do during the day so its not always a free for all?
    Does she take them out for activities etc?
    Is there any way your Mum can look after them at her house? Or change the arrangement slightly? She sounds overwhelmed

20. The Following User Says Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post: