+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Whinge o'clock.

DH's train has been delayed.
    I get up at 5am for work and work my butt off in a physical job and come home to this **** everyday.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1484719081.225719.jpg
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1484719092.661360.jpg
    These are just 2 rooms. Discarded food, toys in every room. I'm grateful for mums help and the fact she's here at 6am so I can work (I couldn't do it without her), the girls are fed, happy and love her to bits, but cleaning is not on the agenda.

I could just cry. Dh gets home at 630pm (if not delayed) and the girls go straight to bed then dinner done and then it's bed for dh and I. This is my life.

My carpet has been permanently stained and destroyedand same with the lounges by food, spilt drinks etc that mum does not clean up. But hey, I just can't complain. And it was the same growing up and mums house is a complete pigsty.

Vent over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Huge hugs. I'd ask if you could suggest a tidy up time before you arrive home, but I am assuming from what you've said previously it either wouldn't go down well, or would be used as an excuse for your mum to refuse to help out any more.
    Can you at the very least insist that all food and drinks are kept at the table?
    Huge hugs. It's so hard to come back to a house that looks like that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Omg that would not be great to come home to everyday! Can you get rid of some of the toys and just have a few out and maybe rotate them every few days? It looks like it's a free for all and they have played with every toy they own

Could you get a big rug for your lounge room to cover the carpet ( might be too late for that)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hopeful37 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-01-2017),Redcorset  (18-01-2017),SuperGranny  (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Whinge o'clock.

How old is your eldest? Could you tell your mum you really want DD to start learning to pack away her toys when she has finished, can she try to play a few "packing away games" with her to get the hang of it ?
    Would also de-clutter/spring clean and try to put a lot of stuff away on rotation
    I would at least ask your mum to dump all unfinished food/dishes in the sink which shouldn't be a huge hassle

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-01-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (18-01-2017),TheGooch  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi.. I would have trouble coming home to this every night. How old are your kids. I like the suggestion of putting a whole heap of toys away and also getting your kids to start cleaning up and putting away their toys.

Good luck

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-01-2017),SuperGranny  (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've just ordered a cheap rug.

Dd1 will now help me pick up/tidy up but I feel like such a biatch as she's missed me at work, I get home and start rousing on her to help me clean, when she's just desperate to chat and show me things.
    And I need to get their dinner sorted.
    Plus dd2 (14 months) needs a mammoth boob session to catch up from what's she's missed.

Here's dd1s bedroom right now
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1484720605.289298.jpg

I DO have the tubs packed away and on rotation but the kids/mum pull them out of the wardrobe. She does spent so much time interacting and playing with them, which is wonderful, I've asked her to be a bit more hardass regarding toys but she says she's the nanna and she's meant to be fun and does not want to be seen as a disciplinarian figure iykwim? It's my job to keep a tidy house and do chores, her job is to babysit, which I can kind of understand.

She puts most things in the sink but it's the crumbs and rubbish everywhere that gets to me.

I'm so sick of coming home from work and not just enjoying my kids but being busy trying to clean up. And dh's long hours (leaves at 545am back 630pm, a 2+ hour commute each way) makes me feel like I'm a single mum during the week sometimes.

Sorry for the long vent might have a wine now

Thanks
    Reviews
    From the pic, your DD looks old enough to help tidy up. I think your mum should go by the clock - at 5, everything is tidied except for favorite toys & then outside play. If your mum won't budge, when you get home I'd suggest cuddles, giggles then straight into cleaning up together. I too would feel pretty deflated seeing all that at the end of the day.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to YeahYeahYeah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would actually cry if I came home from work to that!

Can you move some of the tubs into the shed or something so that they are out of sight, out of mind?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-01-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I've asked her to be a bit more hardass regarding toys but she says she's the nanna and she's meant to be fun and does not want to be seen as a disciplinarian figure iykwim? It's my job to keep a tidy house and do chores, her job is to babysit, which I can kind of understand.

She puts most things in the sink but it's the crumbs and rubbish everywhere that gets to me.
    Re: putting toys away. Could she tell your girls, "no, we can't get those toys out until you put one of the other lots of toys away. Which one would you like to put away first?" And maybe limit it to 3 (or 5 depending on how big/messy). I've started to do that with DS and he is looking forward to the new toy so much that he doesn't seem to mind packing the others away. I don't know if it would work or she'd be willing to try, but then she can still be the fun nana. My mum does it with my niece, and my niece still thinks my mum is the most fun person in the world.

Would your DD get involved in helping clean up after meals? Including wiping down tables. Then you can just tell your mum it's part of her routines and can she keep it part of the day.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you paying your mum anything to look after them?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Calstar For This Useful Post: