+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Baking with a toddler ideas

Today I found myself unexpectedly at home with my teething 2.5 year old dd. (Thanks childcare for your no admission within 8 hours of giving panadol rule). She was desperate for things to do and morning sickness plus exhaustion meant I quickly ran out of energy for tea parties, hide and seek, puzzles and her other go to activities. I do however have plenty of energy for eating, which keeps the morning sickness in check, so I suggested baking! She loves baking but unfortunately my baking repertoire is pretty limited especially when relying on ingredients in the pantry.
    Anyway, we whipped up my fail proof chocolate cupcakes. While they're delicious (we've both eaten 3 ) they aren't the healthiest. This leads me to my question: what's your go to baking activity for a toddler? Keep in mind, I'm looking for things that really only call for pantry/fridge staples and that a toddler would agree to eat at the end. Healthier than chocolate cupcakes would be a bonus too!
    Hit me with your best recipes. I'll be eating chocolate cupcakes while I wait.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apple and cinnamon mini muffins are nice. I use this recipe:
    http://onehandedcooks.com.au/recipe/...namon-muffins/
    And this is a lovely alternative to banana bread and reasonably healthy
    http://mylovelylittlelunchbox.com/20...eakfast-bread/
    And these apricot muesli balls are amazing (I add a tablespoon of chia seeds)!! http://onehandedcooks.com.au/recipe/...-muesli-balls/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A couple of muffin recipes that always turn out well. Excuse my scrawl and shorthand instructions in the last one - it's my husband's favourite carrot cake. If it doesn't make sense or you can't read it, and you'd like the recipe typed up, let me know and I will do it after DS is in bed.
    Also, zucchini slice is fun for them to throw all the ingredients into the bowl and stir.
    Attached Images

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also have a great recipe for choc chip cookies. Not at all healthy, but absolutely delicious. If you want that, I'll type it up for you. I don't have that one written down!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    These have sugar so not really healthy but we love rhubarb muffins! Or if your not a rhubarb fan you can pop in fresh or frozen raspberries:

Ingredients
    2 cups self raising flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    250ml tub sour cream
    8 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
    2 large eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    Rhubarb compote ( I rubarb chopped with 1/2 cup sugar and boiled ten mins

Topping:
    3 tablespoons castor sugar and 1/2 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar

Instructions
    Heat the oven to 190 - Line a 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups.
    In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamonand whisk to blend.
    In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Lightly stir the sour cream mixture into the dry ingredients with a spatula until the batter just comes together; do not overmix. Gently stir in the diced rhubarb. The batter will be thick.

Divide the batter among the muffin cups, using the back of a spoon or a small spatula to settle the batter into the cups. The batter should mound a bit higher than the tops of the cups.

Sprinkle the topping on each muffin before baking
    Bake the muffins until they’re golden brown, spring back most of the way when gently pressed, and a pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes.

Or if you want healthy ( and a good lunch!) I do mini egg frittatas in muffin tins

just beat 8 eggs, 1/2 cup of milk and add any grated veg you have ( carrot, zucchini etc) add corn or peas and any fresh herbs , a bit of salt and pepper , grated garlic, chia seeds and a small handful of grated cheese and mix well, pour into muffin tins and cook until golden ( approx 10 mins) ( you could add goats cheese or feta and top with a halved cherry tomato)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    These are all great! And far healthier than my cupcakes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Zucchini slice but as mini bite size muffins. They've always gone down well in my house even with kids that don't eat veggies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Baking with a toddler ideas

Coconut bread is something I used to make with my toddlers at the helm as its so few ingredients and mixing all in one. Super easy for toddlers. So yummy and moist too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Banana bread is an easy one. But my fave is hummingbird cake as there is no beating. Plus, the ingredients are yummy so it's great for making a mess & licking fingers & spoons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yum, I love Hummingbird cake!