+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Back pain

I have been moving house and injured my back. Went to a Chinese massage which helped loosen the muscles.

Left it for a few days and pain no better or worse. Been on neurofen plus and using ice to deaden the pain.

Went to a physio this morning he said it certainly sounds disc related. He had me bend forward 52cm from the ground. Look for the outcome after massage later in this post.

He gave me massage, plus exercises facing downwards on belly lift upper body but keep pelvis down. X 5. And lying down on belly with head down lift straight leg right x5 and then left x 5. The leg lifts are working my hamstrings. Then some hamstring stretches on my back using a belt lift my leg upwards and pull it towards me.

Ummm I am an ex gymnast. Hamstring stretches are a joke. I'm very flexible in that area. I can usually fold in half so to speak. Just not at the moment with back injury.

He massaged me and now I have come out in more pain. Grrr. Checked how far I could bend after massage. 72cm from the ground! I'm usually able to touch the ground flat handed.

I wish my previous physio didn't leave for Qld. Someone in Qld now has a very good physio!

I'm going for another appointment with another physio for a second opinion. I have never come out worse before.

Any suggestions that I should ask this next physio for?

Mysticfalls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Back pain

If the cause is truly disc related you are likely to have some of the following symptoms:
    - pain worse when coughing or sneezing
    - pain that travels down the leg in a particular consistent pattern
    - pain should centralise (move closer into your back away from legs) when you do the pushing up exercise into an arch with pelvis on the ground.

If it's disc related, do not bend forward and reach your toes as you will likely make it worse

Most of the time the issue from acute back pain in non specific and likely to be muscle strain. In that case, staying active (not bed rest) , neurofen and massage should provide a little relief.

Once the injury is more than 3 days old and doesn't appear swollen, you will likely have better relief from heat rather than ice

Feel free to pm me if you want to chat more
    Last edited by bel2466; 18-01-2017 at 14:12.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

MysticFalls  (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Went to a second physio he is much better did massage acupuncture and strapping feels better

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticFalls For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my gosh the strapping is making thing a lot easier. Still 30-40% pain at times bit but no longer at 90% pain level.

The spasms have stopped which makes things easier!! I'm no longer bombed up to my eyeballs on neurofen plus. Omg the strapping acupuncture or massage or all three have helped my pain levels dramatically.

I'm able to do the exercise lean against wall feet a little distance from the wall. Then push hips towards the wall. Later I hope to be able to do it on the ground. Got another appointment for Monday.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticFalls For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to hear :-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

MysticFalls  (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Word of warning though to anyone who is using neurofen plus also take some form of stool softener I ended up in trouble today.

If you ever end up in big trouble fleet enema works well.

I just took on neurofen plus and one movicol sachet in water (chocolate) one doesn't look chocolate but I sure does taste like it.

I needed pain relief but was scared as I was in trouble this morning. So movicol chaser.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried nuromol pain relief ? It's not known to cause constipation and works a treat. I suffer sever chronic pain and am on so many mess I block up so fast but not taking this

I hope your back feels better soon xxx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

MysticFalls  (21-01-2017)