+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At that age range my DD loved Geronimo Stilton, Andy Griffiths Treehouse collection and anything by David Walliams: Demon Dentist, Awful Auntie etc.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (18-01-2017)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Definitely Enid Blyton - the faraway tree was what made ne fall in love with reading. I loved Andy Griffiths as a kid too. Classics like The secret garden and Charlottes Web.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (18-01-2017)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I tried the faraway tree late last year and found a lot couldn't get into it- I think it's the 1940s language? Being of course LSE, these children aren't used to language like that- you know the whole "oh I do hope **** shall be able to find someone to reverse the spell. I shall never forgive myself if he has to stay that way forever!" Type stuff...
    I LOVE the treehouse, weirdo, captain underpants etc type books- my boys have a lot. My only worry is the small illustrations and cartoons will lose a lot of their humour in a read aloud type situation.
    I'm thinking The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe might be a good suggestion- but tell me- is the language similar to that of Blyton?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I could never get kids into Narnia unfortunately.

There are parents that wouldn't let me read Harry Potter or Narnia anyway most of the time. Or Goosebumps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found that my DD had difficulty at that age accessing most of the 'classics' due to the old fashioned language.

It is hard because some of the most engaging books for that age are still picture-dependent. You could try using a document camera and projecting the page onto the whiteboard (there are devices made to do just this, my old school had one). I tried this with the treehouse books but is was a bit odd as it's hard to know the order to read all the speech bubbles/captions so if you miss one (or someone wasn't following and thinks you missed one) poppets will start to call out the missed ones or read different bits out loud and so on. I found it was quite disjointed as a text to read to the whole class. Something similar with more body text and less captions would be good. Eric Vale is one that comes to mind - easier and less 'big kid' themes than wimpy kid but a similar format. Not too 'boy book' as well.

One of the biggest issues I have with early chapter books is they are so gendered. It makes it really hard to use them for whole-class reading.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My ds loves the tree house books, weirdo books, bad guys books, Enid blyton he enjoys also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love reading my Year 1 students books from the Selby Speaks series by Duncan Ball. Lots of funny little stories to keep kids amused and they love going on to the next Selby adventure!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (18-01-2017)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I found that my DD had difficulty at that age accessing most of the 'classics' due to the old fashioned language.

It is hard because some of the most engaging books for that age are still picture-dependent. You could try using a document camera and projecting the page onto the whiteboard (there are devices made to do just this, my old school had one). I tried this with the treehouse books but is was a bit odd as it's hard to know the order to read all the speech bubbles/captions so if you miss one (or someone wasn't following and thinks you missed one) poppets will start to call out the missed ones or read different bits out loud and so on. I found it was quite disjointed as a text to read to the whole class. Something similar with more body text and less captions would be good. Eric Vale is one that comes to mind - easier and less 'big kid' themes than wimpy kid but a similar format. Not too 'boy book' as well.

One of the biggest issues I have with early chapter books is they are so gendered. It makes it really hard to use them for whole-class reading.
    Which is why Dahl was such a perfect fit last year. But we are composite classes, so everything has to be every second year to stop the repeats...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought DS (6) the Anh Do Weirdo and Hotdog books for Xmas and he loved them