+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Losing Hospital Cover

I am starting to wonder if we should ditch our private health hospital cover and keep our extras.
    Has anyone else done this?

We need the extras and use them alot so I dont want to lose them. But ds has asthma and I hear so many horror stories from a friend who gets the ring around with the public hospital system here so not sure if its worth keeping or not.

What made you keep your hospital cover or ditch it?

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've got hospital (with pregnancy) and medium level extras.
    For me I keep it for pregnancy and potentially weight loss surgery. Once those two things are determined, I'll reduce my cover. But I'll keep hospital cover to avoid additional Medicare levy (or whatever it is) and also in the event I need surgery or hospital care, it gives options
    I'll probably keep hospital over extras though. I can't seem to find extras cover that is worth it, due to the little I get back. Or low limits on claiming. I'm trying to work out if I should just put that money aside for healthcare and ditch the extras

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ditched extras about 7/8 yrs ago. Found it to be a waste of time and money. I never used the extras enough to warrant it. I kept hospital only. In the 12 yrs I've had private cover I had about $100k worth of hospital admissions with the last one being July last year for a c-sec with DS2 that was $15k billed to my health fund, $0 out of pocket to me.

DS1 will need braces but for the amount you can claim on them it's not worth it I may aswell pay out of pocket for them which I'm already saving for. Dental he is bulk billed under the school kids program and I go once a year costing $160. If I want s massage dp will do as he is trained in sports remedial massage

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot about the medicare levy.

I actually said to dh I am scare if I remove hospital cover I will jinx myself and fall pregnant. We are finished having kids but its nice to have that back up if we do have another by some amazing chance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm thinking of ditching extras, but I won't be getting rid of hospital. There are plenty of injuries and illnesses that you can end up with, where you could wait weeks/months/years in the public system to be treated. My dad currently has leukemia, so I have now seen a lot more of the health system than I would like to. If you afford it, stick with hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks a lot ladies. I might have a look more into the extras and see if its actually worth it.
    Since having kids I have needed alot of dental work but most of that is done now.
    And once I think about it they dont cover a great deal with my glasses.
    And if ds needs speech therapy they only cover $500 which doesnt seem much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I looked into it a while ago.. To drop the extras cover .. But it saved me hardly anything. If you have to pay the Medicare surcharge.. It pays to have adequate hospital cover.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had the same thought a few times but we've decided we will always keep our hospital cover. When I think about it, I've used it for 2 births, gall bladder surgery, hip surgery and numerous day procedures with a gastroenterologist. DH has also had a few day surgeries. If we hadn't had the cover I would have had to wait for both my gall and hip surgeries. It would have been awful, I was suffering a great deal both times.

Worth it IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only have ambulance and full extras, I couldn't justify spending the extra $300 a month for top hospital cover. The medium to lower levels of cover had very unreasonable coverage in comparison.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We only have pretty basic hospital. I got it for childhood stuff for the kids - Tonsils, grommets etc. My DD suffers from glue ear but never gets infections. She has already had one set of grommets and I think we're on the way to another pair. The hospital cover will reduce that bill heaps. If I had to wait for the public system she would never get in due to the lack of infections - she will always be the lowest priority (as she should be).