+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Baby name advice - too matchy with older sibling?

So we have a first name and middle name picked out but I just realised the baby will have the same initials as our daughter and the same syllable pattern, e.g. If my daughters name is Jane Catherine Richardson (one-three-three), babies name is John Christopher Richardson (one-three-three) (these are completely made up, just same syllable patterns).

Hubby is convinced that it doesn't matter because you don't really use your middle name. Plus I was thinking, baby is his own person and even when he's a teen / adult if people do know his middle name, they're unlikely to know that his sister has the same initials and number of syllables in her name. But it's still bothering me a bit!

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think that's fine. It's unlikely many people will realise. If you like the name then I'd stick with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having the same initials might get a little confusing when it comes to documents that don't spell out the full name. The syllable patterns wouldn't bother me at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Syllable pattern is a non issue, my girls have the same amount of syllables, as in all have 4 syllables between first and middle name. Same initials may be an issue, not so much now but later on when they are late teens and adults.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've counted out the syllables in my kids names for fun, didn't think of it when I was choosing names. Only thing I wanted was all my girls names end with A like mine and the boys end with N like their dad lol
    It's funny the things we think of
    I'm sure not many people will notice the syllables

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Baby name advice - too matchy with older sibling?

I have the same initials (first and middle with the eldest) as both my brothers. I think my folks thought it would be funny. We were known as the A- team (as we all started with A).

The only time it really ****ed me off is on 3 seperate occasions one of us won a competition and the prize winner was A.Smith. So disappointing and fights ensued.

Letters were also a pita at times.

These days now we are older and moved out it's no drama. But as kids/ young adults nothing was addressed to Mr or Miss to help give a clue.

Look, it's not the end of the world, but it was an annoyance on more than one occasion.

ETA: my kids names are matchy/similar/two syllables. Ella and Lily. Different initials though!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 17-01-2017 at 20:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Matching syllables is not an issue...especially when middle names are not used aloud often at all.

I know a family where all 4 children have names beginning with K so they all have same initials...I dont think that's an issue either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Matching syllables would be no issue at all, but personally, to avoid any future confusion that might come up I would make sure they have different initials. At least one name starting with a different letter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband and I have the same initials. I was against having any of the kids double up on initials but then inadvertently went and chose the same letter as my husband and I for our son! We really couldn't settle on any other name. So now we have 3 in the family starting with R. It irritates me if I think of it lol
    The rest all have different initials