+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The website of the school we want to get into states that their enrolments are managed under a "school enrolment management plan" and states that they have very limited ability to accept enrolments from outside the catchment area BECAUSE if they don't manage it now, they will not be able to meet their prime obligation of access to students whose principal place of residence is within the catchment.

To me the way they've worded it sounds like if they indeed reach capacity whilst accepting only students in catchment they would have to turn others in the area away.
    Last edited by CazHazKidz; 18-01-2017 at 08:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    The website of the school we want to get into states that their enrolments are managed under a "school enrolment management plan" and states that they have very limited ability to accept enrolments from outside the catchment area BECAUSE if they don't manage it now, they will not be able to meet their prime obligation of access to students whose principal place of residence is within the catchment.

To me the way they've worded it sounds like if they indeed reach capacity whilst accepting only students in catchment they would have to turn others in the area away.
    I don't think it's legal for a school to turn students in the area away.

I can only speak for public primary schools in nsw but schools get allocated teachers by number of students. If you're on 299 students and 300 means you get an extra teacher then as soon as a new student enrols, whatever time of year it is, the school will get appointed another teacher and create a new class. If they go back under 300 during the year, they still retain the new teacher that was appointed. I'm not sure how it works in nsw public high schools or other states. I assume it would be the same for high schools.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 18-01-2017 at 08:57.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do many new schools get built these days? My DSSs are changing schools this year and their new schools website says that enrolments have gone from 250 to 850 over the past 4 years. New housing is still rapidly popping up around this area, makes me wonder how associated children will fit into the school.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

That sounds like pretty standard Qld Dept of Education wording to me. There is a similar blurb on my kid's highschool website and I know they accept heaps of out of area enrolments. Your best bet would be to phone the school and ask them on average how many out of enrolments they accept into first year of highschool. Obviously it would vary from year to year, but may set your mind at ease for now.

As for reaching limits within a catchment area, there is a primary school near me that is located in an area with so many families with young children that they are turning in area kids away and cannot guarantee sibling enrolments. They fill places in order of enrolment. I would say this is an unusual situation though and certainly isn't the norm and would be a temporary situation only.

ETA link to Dept of Education info on enrolment management plan:
    http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/catchment/

It says that they are implemented when in area enrolments are expected to fill 80% of places. Therefore the school you want your kids to go to could have anything up to 20% of students from out of area.

Detailed policy on enrolment management plans and ID required to prove you live in area:
    http://ppr.det.qld.gov.au/corp/infra...ent-Plans.aspx
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 18-01-2017 at 09:34.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

The high school (out of catchment) DD is starting at this week said something exactly the same so it is probably standard wording. Don't not apply because of the policy wording. Our high school said they weren't taking many out of catchment kids, but they have. They have taken 7 that I know of and that is just from our primary school. Our school website also makes it clear that applications are kept on file for 12 months and after that you have to apply again. It also makes it clear that out of catchment kids are taken on a first received basis. You have nothing to loose by filling out the paperwork and applying.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    The high school (out of catchment) DD is starting at this week said something exactly the same so it is probably standard wording. Don't not apply because of the policy wording. Our high school said they weren't taking many out of catchment kids, but they have. They have taken 7 that I know of and that is just from our primary school. Our school website also makes it clear that applications are kept on file for 12 months and after that you have to apply again. It also makes it clear that out of catchment kids are taken on a first received basis. You have nothing to loose by filling out the paperwork and applying.
    Oh this is good to know, so there's no point me thinking about it now then if they only keep applications on file for 12 months. I'll need to be the first person to apply 12 months prior!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh this is good to know, so there's no point me thinking about it now then if they only keep applications on file for 12 months. I'll need to be the first person to apply 12 months prior!
    Call and ask, it may just be our school that does that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to add, not sure how education QLD does it but here our applications open in April and you can apply for out of area. You justify why you want an out of are school (eg sibling, more convienient to work, more convienient for grandparent pickup) and then they consider it. If you are unsucessful you go to your catchment school but theres nothing to lose from trying.

That is the case for our Kindy/Preschool students. Not sure for HS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    As far as I know, you can't refuse a child in your catchment. If they were really serious about this problem then they would move all families on who've moved out of the area. Their playground must be ridiculously busy. They would have to do staggered breaks.
    My school won't accept any enrollments other than those starting in reception because they are too full and that's for a public school in SA. So it's not ideal, but even if you deliberate moved into catchment, you couldn't enroll your child there. They refer those kids to different local schools.