+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dont you only need to live in the catchment area at the time of enrolment?

Not being cheeky, but people do move right? Schools can't expect people to stay put for 6+ years?

I will soon enrol our sons in our catchment school but I know we won't live in the catchment area forever...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post

Not being cheeky, but people do move right? Schools can't expect people to stay put for 6+ years?

I will soon enrol our sons in our catchment school but I know we won't live in the catchment area forever...
    Yep this is what we did.

We were in catchment for preschool and we were able to transfer straight into the primary school even though we moved out of area part way through her preschool year. Based on siblings policy, DS should be able to get in.

I havent worked out what happens at high school but I have been told that she should be able to get into the HS that that primary school feeds into.

eta - we didnt intentionally do it, but we went from renting to buying and we never could have bought in the suburb we were renting un

4. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post

Depends on how full the school is. In Melbourne it wasn't enough for my sister to show a 6 month rental contract, they had to prove long term ties to the area to get their sons into the public school they wanted. Same as the school I work at now.

In the end of the day, its a risk you take with public schools. You might not get in to the one you want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Once your in your in, I've had a few clients take 6 month leases out on properties in the school zone so they can produce proof of address, then after 6 months write to the school saying they have moved , they have never been told to leave (these are catholic schools )

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The silliest thing is, the school we want to go to is in the next catchment over. We literally need to move about 5km down the road to be in the catchment for the school we want, so we would still very much be a part of the community. We already live in a very very modest home in our suburb. 4 children and 2 adults in a tiny 3 bedroom house, but we are happy, have a teeny tiny mortgage, and it means we can afford to have our children participate in sports and things that they like to do, where if we moved the suburb over to a more expensive house (there is no small modest houses there) all our finance would go into our mortgage and we couldn't afford for the kids to do swimming, music lessons, dance, and other sport and activities like they do now.
    Either way, I really appreciate all the responses and can see now that it is not the right thing to do. I will put all my energy into trying to get accepted out of catchment and hope then that the sibling rule comes into play and that they can all get it. I'd hate for my eldest to get in there and then the rest of them not be able to.
    I might email the school now and see how soon I can enrol. This all feels so silly as my eldest is about to start year 2. Lol. But you just have to think about these things!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

michellead  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Some schools are really strict with enrolments. Others are not.

Hurstville public school now state that if you move you have to change schools and Killara High School requires a rental in the catchment for at least 12 months prior to applying.

http://www.hurstville-p.schools.nsw....hool/enrolment

http://www.killara-h.schools.nsw.edu...d6bd900be3.pdf

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh man. I've just been on the school website reading through their enrollment policies and there's absolutely no way we're getting in there unless we move. Oh well. Looks like my kids are going to the local high school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    The silliest thing is, the school we want to go to is in the next catchment over. We literally need to move about 5km down the road to be in the catchment for the school we want, so we would still very much be a part of the community. We already live in a very very modest home in our suburb. 4 children and 2 adults in a tiny 3 bedroom house, but we are happy, have a teeny tiny mortgage, and it means we can afford to have our children participate in sports and things that they like to do, where if we moved the suburb over to a more expensive house (there is no small modest houses there) all our finance would go into our mortgage and we couldn't afford for the kids to do swimming, music lessons, dance, and other sport and activities like they do now.
    Either way, I really appreciate all the responses and can see now that it is not the right thing to do. I will put all my energy into trying to get accepted out of catchment and hope then that the sibling rule comes into play and that they can all get it. I'd hate for my eldest to get in there and then the rest of them not be able to.
    I might email the school now and see how soon I can enrol. This all feels so silly as my eldest is about to start year 2. Lol. But you just have to think about these things!
    You know what? So much can change in that time. The school you're in the zone for could get a fantastic new principal and change. Also, don't believe everything you hear. Sometimes bad reputations stick.

i went to the park last week with my kids and met one of the kids from my children's school there. The grandmother was with her. She is a retired teacher and said her son had heard bad things about the school and didn't want to send his daughter there. The grandmother went up to the school open day and now her granddaughter is going intonyear 1, she thinks the school is the suburb's best kept secret.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (18-01-2017),Curby  (18-01-2017),michellead  (18-01-2017),smallpotatoes  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Some schools are really strict with enrolments. Others are not.

Hurstville public school now state that if you move you have to change schools and Killara High School requires a rental in the catchment for at least 12 months prior to applying.

http://www.hurstville-p.schools.nsw....hool/enrolment

http://www.killara-h.schools.nsw.edu...d6bd900be3.pdf
    That's definitely understandable for Hurstville, they have over 1200 kids in primary school and last year they had 8 kindy classes!
    What would happen if they physically couldn't fit any more kids in , if you lived in the catchment zone ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    That's definitely understandable for Hurstville, they have over 1200 kids in primary school and last year they had 8 kindy classes!
    What would happen if they physically couldn't fit any more kids in , if you lived in the catchment zone ?
    As far as I know, you can't refuse a child in your catchment. If they were really serious about this problem then they would move all families on who've moved out of the area. Their playground must be ridiculously busy. They would have to do staggered breaks.