+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you obtained spots based on false pretences, that could impact on another family who may have been successful. You could perhaps indicate your mum lives in the catchment area and say she helps with looking after the children after school. That might help yr application.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (17-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    If you obtained spots based on false pretences, that could impact on another family who may have been successful. You could perhaps indicate your mum lives in the catchment area and say she helps with looking after the children after school. That might help yr application.
    Yes this is more likely what I will try to do, use my work or mothers address as an incentive for an out of catchment enrolment. My mum won't be helping with pick ups or drop offs at all, so it wouldn't be true, but surely that's not an awful lie. Trying to get in the school near my work would be legit though as I'm always going to or from there from pick up. Maybe it will help I don't know :/

Thanks
    Reviews

Default School catchment zones

In SA where you work has 0 to do with school enrollment, I thought that was the same for all states too?

How far away off HS is your eldest? A lot can change with schools in a few years, so the local one might end up being just as good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Curby View Post
    In SA where you work has 0 to do with school enrollment, I thought that was the same for all states too?

How far away off HS is your eldest? A lot can change with schools in a few years, so the local one might end up being just as good.
    No it doesn't have anything to do with it, but maybe if I applied to a school near work and my explanation for why I was enrolling for there was that my work was nearby, my out of catchment enrolment might be considered more than someone who was just randomly enrolling out of catchment? Probably not but might be worth a try I guess.
    I doubt this school will become something exciting anytime soon, it's been a fairly low regarded school for a very long time now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Yes this is more likely what I will try to do, use my work or mothers address as an incentive for an out of catchment enrolment. My mum won't be helping with pick ups or drop offs at all, so it wouldn't be true, but surely that's not an awful lie. Trying to get in the school near my work would be legit though as I'm always going to or from there from pick up. Maybe it will help I don't know :/
    I highly doubt this would help at all.

People try and get into our primary school for this very reason and it does not impact the acceptance decision at all. Also once they are in high school after school arrangements won't matter either.

Does the high school have any special programs....e.g Spanish immersion, maths acceleration...if your child was eligible for a special program this can help.

Really your best bet is to fill out an application form as soon as the school will accept it and go from there. If you fiddle around with addresses the school will find out.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (17-01-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (17-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I just remembered, schools in my area prioritise siblings, so if your oldest gets in, your other children will stand a good chance.

It would be beneficial to phone the school 18 months or so before your oldest is due to start and ask when they accept out of area enrolments. It seems to vary from school to school. My local school take out of area enrolments from the first day back at school. The next closest school won't take them until their official enrolment period in May.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (17-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Actual proof is needed (NSW) here.
    We have DSD enrolled in a Catholic high school which is, now, outside our catchment. At the time, it was in her mother's catchment area, but we now have full custody.
    Thankfully, the school has made an allowance as she was in the zone upon enrolment. However, if DSS is to go there, we will need to move.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (17-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of mine in Victoria was divorced from her husband. Her ex lived within her sons High School zone but she didnt. From memory it was a private school. Her son lived with his Mum and spent weekends with his Dad. The school actually had him followed home a number of times and contacted my friend and said that as her son is not living in the catchment area he was not eligible to attend the school. Her son ended up moving in with his Dad full time and staying with his Mum on weekends as he didn't want to change schools.

I feel for you OP as the high school in our zone is not all that great either. Thankfully as we only have 2 children the Catholic High Schools (one co-ed, one single sex) are affordable for us.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (17-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in a Brisbane school and can tell you that lying is the worst thing you could do. The school will find out, you can't hide that for the 6 years or so that you are there and even if you are not removed, your child will carry the burden of lying and feeling inadequate for not legitimately being apart of the school community. Other parents will know and even if they don't talk about it to your face you can bet they will behind your back. Getting an out of catchment place is a different story so put your energy into being the absolute first on the out of catchment list as that is purely a numbers game. We had some letters written from our out of catchment families this year and some legitimately had educational reason to seek our school. But we are mandated to take families in strict date order. Some got in, some did not.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elleysmagic For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (18-01-2017),PomPoms  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This issue infuriates me
    We have a similar issue of school catchments in London and as a good school is an absolute priority, we sacrifice (big time) and live in a very modest and very small apartment in the catchment zone for our DS to go to a great school.
    We are considering relocating to Brisbane soon and I have printed the catchment zones for schools to ensure we will be in one that we are comfortable sending DS to.
    Lying is never OK in my opinion, submit an out of zone application and be honest.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (18-01-2017)