+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default kitchen renovation

So we have decided to renovate our kitchen.

The plan was to get three quote then decide who we like the best.

Thing is...I got one quote which is exactly what i want. I asked for middle of the range and he quoted that range, we just pick out the colours etc. Guy is a small business, professional, good reviews and seems honest and knows what hes doing.

I organised two more quotes (bigger companies). One said they would send it to me by friday, well, its tuesday and i still havent got it. Not great really. He was nice enough but not as helpful as the first guy.

The other guy said we have to go to the showroom and pick out materials before he'll even do the quote. Is that normal, i thought id get quotes for certain ranges (like the first guy) and then decide if thats the range we want or not, knowing there'd be changes in prices for different ranges.

Not sure what to do. My instincts are telling me to go with he first guy but hes the only quote ive gotten so far.

Any advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Normal to pick out materials and finishes that you can want. Bench tops you could go laminate or caesarstone. Doors could painted (not what you think just just the term used) or gloss which is more expensive. Then you have handles do you want knobs or long handles but colour and finish etc. I did my kitchen a few years ago I got 2 quotes one from a big brand the other a cabinet maker who also does work for the big brands. Big brands was $19k cabinet maker was $9k build designed and installed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think a lot about picking a tradie (or lots of things really) is picking someone you feel comfortable with, and have confidence in. If you don't feel like you'll be wondering "What if I'd got those other quotes?" later, i say go for the first guy.

I hate it when people say they'll do something by a certain day, and just don't do it. Doesn't bode well for the rest of your dealings with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's almost what happened to us when we got our kitchen renovated. We applied to get three quotes.... the first guy gave us a quote that was a fair way out of our budget than what we had expected but we thought ok then. Second guy had a hugely cheaper quote - really the opposite end of the scale. I'm talking around a $20,000 difference in quoting for the same job!! 😱 The third guy came and measured up and then said he'd get back to us with the quote.... never heard from him again!

The guy with the expensive quote was from a big kitchen company with a lot of knowledge and history. The tradie with the cheaper quote was a young local cabinet maker with his own small business. We ummed and ahhed for a while - while the cheaper quote saved us a lot of money we were like can he do as good a job? Anyway in the end the cheaper cabinet maker spent so much more time with us going through what we wanted and again at every stage of the process and we went with him. And he did a great job!

I think like someone else mentioned you kinda have to go with your feeling. If you are happy eith the quote you got just run with it! If you still aren't quite sure, then I would prob try again to get a few more....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to erinn For This Useful Post:

loislane2010  (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive finally heard from the second guy. He sent an email saying hes 'finalizing the quote and should have it in a couple days'...which is a week late.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went for a mid size company. It has one showroom but does kitchens in sydney canberra central coast etc. When the designer came i told him we had a budget of $10k plus the new kitchen had to fit on old footprint due to floor and we had no budget for carpentry work mucking about with walls and so on. The quote in the end was $12k incl plumbing, electrics, removal of old kitchen, stone bench snd low sheen doors ( not laminate), soft close drawers, sink, tapwear, kickboards, internal bin, handles etc. We paid for oven, new dishwasher and $800 for tiling so i think it was about $14.5 all up. The key for me was setting a budget and trying to work around that. I was teally happy in the end. I only got that one quote.