+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bali and a baby

Would you go to Bali with an infant ( less than 4 months old) why or why not

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No way. Way to dirty and they have a lot of health hazards that would be harmful to a baby ( dengue fever etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, not confident in their health care system should it be needed. Plus bub hasn't had full vax schedule

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally no. I would only even consider if baby was over 12 months old. To much health concern and worry with feeding and washing and sterilising things. No microwaves in rooms to heat bottles if your on formula unless your renting a villa. What if baby gets sick ? I wouldn't trust the health system as much as our own. Even at 12 months of age baby still cannot go into a kids club so you wouldn't be getting a break at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't. We thought about taking our DS over but decided it was too risky, especially considering the last case of measles in Perth came from Indonesia.
    We are taking DS over in June, but he will be 20 months old and fully vaccinated.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bali and a baby

Yes I would... I spent about 4 months during maternity leave in thailand from when bub was 6 weeks old till she was about 7 months old. We were staying in an apartment so that made things easy as there were cooking facilities. It would however depend on where you were staying and extra precautions are required. As baby is young.. Unlikely to be crawling.. She would be at less risk of getting dirt and grime on her hands or in mouth.. As she would not be on the dirty floor. With a baby closer to 1 this would be more of a problem. If you are staying at a $25 per night place.. Cleanliness will be more of an issue than if you were at a nice villa or higher end hotel. If you are bottle feeding.. You will have trouble getting the exact formula you use at home so you should bring all you need for the duration of your trip. All bottles were washed with boiling hot water.. Air dried and then rinsed with boiled or bottled water before making up bottles. I never warmed my baby bottles in s microwave.. So room temperature is ok.. Especially if this is what you get your baby used to and it is hot anyway. Obviously any dummies dropped in the floor should be washed in boiled or bottled water before being returned to bub.

You need to take precautions for Mosquitos and the best way to do this is by getting a mosquito net that fully covers your pram. I would not take a stroller as you are unable to use a net. Avoid going out at dawn and dusk and keep bubs under the net as much as you can. It can however get hot under there so need to keep this in mind though. The black mosquito net is useful to keep prying eyes away from your baby. Unimmunised locals are the greatest risk so keep them away from baby.. So don't let them touch your baby.. For risk of catching something and due to poor sanitation.. Bubs would be More likely to get gastro etc from dirty hand. CAfter about 1 or1.5 yr old age .. I am less worried about this as bub has had more vaccinations.

Take any medication with you.. Such as baby Panadol and a thermometer in case you need it. The Bali international hospital is good and staff are of international standard. My neighbour was hospitalised with gall stones last year and she could not fault the hospital.. With second opinions for her treatment coming from Singapore.

Don't travel without travel insurance also.

If you have any questions .. Feel free to message me.

I am having my second in August and I will be returning to Thailand with my then 3 yr old and 6 week old bub(once bub has had first lot of vaccinations again) . First Bub was not sick at all on our trip and will be fine if you take the precautions stated.

Good luck!
    Last edited by kylie764; 17-01-2017 at 13:36.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

mummanow  (27-01-2017),Yogis Mumma  (17-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I had a good reason eg: best friends wedding I'd just go (I BF so bottles not an issue).
    Just for a holiday, no. Issues for me: not fully vaccinated yet, picking up something nasty on the plane and it's very hot to have a tiny baby in a carrier or pram to get out & about.
    We took DD last year at 23 months and we had a ball. She was big enough to not need special food or bottles & appreciated the swimming pool. I think I would prefer not to go until my baby was walking.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bali and a baby

Thanks everyone a lot to think about

Ps it is for a wedding

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I did go for a wedding I'd invest in a lightweight carrier & that baby would be stuck to me like glue!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw a pic of an Aussie mum in Bali the other day where she was wearing bub in a wrap and attached a pram fan to it to keep mum and bub cool!!