+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spiteful step sister & gift advice

So my Step Dad (or just Dad as I call him) got married in November. They were having a low key affair, and as they weren't having a photographer I got a new camera lens (also got the camera as an early Christmas present especially for the occasion) and took the time to learnt the camera settings etc and planned on giving them a photo book of their day as a gift. So I show up empty handed, tell my Dad their gift will be given to them after their wedding & mention it to my step sister, my Dads wife's daughter, and a couple of other family members so they know what I'm doing and help get some family together. My step sister doesn't like me, she is nearly 20 years my senior & our Dad didn't raise her, but while he and my Mum split when I was 7, he was always very involved and she doesn't like that. Anyway, it all went wine, I took photos of my Dads wife getting ready and got some really nice shots of their day (though I did spend a lot of it snapping away - I took thousands). My dad then went on his honeymoon & I went overseas until last week, when we'd planned to catch up in a few weeks. My Dad posted to Facebook while I was gone that my step sister had given him a photo book of photos (assuming iPhone as she didn't have a camera) and I'm so gutted! I didn't actually see the post as he removed it (I can only assume my step sister said something), but my mum did and told me because she knew my plan.

I don't know if I'm over reacting - feel free to tell me as much, but I feel I can't very well give the same gift...I literally have no idea now what to give them anymore and there's little point saying anything to my Dad because he is so blasé and non confrontational he'll probably just have a laugh and say oh how funny! What do I do?!?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Still go ahead with your photo book. The photos will be a lot more professional than some crap iPhone ones.

As for you stepsister what a cow!!

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hopeful37 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (16-01-2017),Best Things  (17-01-2017),Curby  (17-01-2017),JR03  (17-01-2017),mckel  (17-01-2017),Mod-Degrassi  (17-01-2017),SuperGranny  (27-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Give them your gift. I think it's beautiful.

Maybe add some quotes from their ceremony or vows throughout it.

You are not over reacting. That was a horrible thing for her to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm another who thinks you should just give them your gift. I like twinklify's suggestion of adding quotes to the book as well.

Your stepsister is an incredibly petty person. I really just cant fathom how people like that get on in the world. I'd be upset too but I think your dad will really appreciate the efforts you go to for yours

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zelda For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (16-01-2017),Hopeful37  (17-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd give them the gift and get them a beautiful album to put the pictures in. But I'd also make sure step mum knew that you'd told your dad what you where doing.

You can't compare fancy lens camera to a phone camera as there is no comparison

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How disappointing for you!
    I would definitely give them the gift regardless. As mentioned, your photos will be much better quality and you can never have too many wedding photos.
    Don't let your step sister stop you from sharing those precious moments you captured on the day, it was such a thoughtful thing to do. And you know your photo book has come from the heart, not from spite or competitiveness

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still do the book - do it through snapfish or some such place and make it really something to be proud of and hold your head up high when you give it to them.

It was mean for her to do it so my b!tchy side says trump her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely still give your gift. As mentioned, yours will be higher quality photos and probably include many more too. Perhaps even frame a few enlargements so they can go on display (which I'm sure your step sister will LOVE, but your dad and step mum will appreciate)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wickedly Happy For This Useful Post:

MysticFalls  (17-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd still give the book of your photos as well. iphone photos are not as good as photos taken on a proper camera with a great lens, especially by someone who knows what they are doing. I'd also print an enlargement or two to go with it.
    That was incredibly petty of your step sister. And quite frankly, I have no doubt your dad will realise that this was your intended gift, and will love and appreciate it regardless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Agree with the majority here - go ahead with the photo book as planned.

If she's truly done this to spite you, she's probably hoping you'll be upset. Pretend you don't give a honk and give your Dad an amazing photo book!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (17-01-2017)