ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Nail cutting tricks! Please!

DS is 3 next month.

He's always been pretty chilled about having his nails cut. We'd sing a song and chat while I cut them after a bath or shower.

Lately it has become a screaming fest. He is screaming so much he is nearly throwing up, sweats to the point he is soaking wet and thrashes around so much he is kicking and hitting df and I and probably end up hurting himself. We have had to resort to holding him down while we cut them. It was not nice really broke my heart hearing him scream but his toe nails were so long!!

No amount of bribing is working. Nothing is good enough. I have tried while he is asleep and he wakes up. No matter how out cold he is.

Has anyone got any ideas of a way to make it easier?

Thanks x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you paint your nails? DS never let me cut his nails. He will let me file them when I do mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Nail cutting tricks! Please!

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Do you paint your nails? DS never let me cut his nails. He will let me file them when I do mine.
    I do this with dd1 lol. Paint and cut her nails.

Honestly I wouldn't push it at the moment if he's terrified. What's the worst that could happen with long nails for a little while? They might get caught or broken. And hopefully he will be more receptive to having them cut in a few months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have acrylic nails so I do but I'm not home when I get them done lol
    I could try filing them and see if he is more willing. He seems to freak out when he knows I'm going to cut his nails.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    I have acrylic nails so I do but I'm not home when I get them done lol
    I could try filing them and see if he is more willing. He seems to freak out when he knows I'm going to cut his nails.
    I have a file similar to the glass ones. So it seems smooth when agaibst the skin. I gave it to DS to 'play' with and once he realised it will not hurt he was fine.

Maybe do it to your DF? Or your toenails?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I do this with dd1 lol. Paint and cut her nails.

Honestly I wouldn't push it at the moment if he's terrified. What's the worst that could happen with long nails for a little while? They might get caught or broken. And hopefully he will be more receptive to having them cut in a few months.
    I wonder if I can 'trick' DS into letting me paint and cut/file his nails? He let me paint them a few times when I use to do my nails but that was back when he was agreeing to it haha

I've thought about it but the way his toe nails grow (like dfs) he will end up with an ingrown nail on the side of his big toe nail very quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a file similar to the glass ones. So it seems smooth when agaibst the skin. I gave it to DS to 'play' with and once he realised it will not hurt he was fine.

Maybe do it to your DF? Or your toenails?
    Maybe I should give a glass one a go and let DS 'play' with it for awhile.
    I will give it a go, thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I like the idea of involving DF, have family nail time with DS observing and see what his interest level is like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My daughter is 2 but started hating having her nails trimmed. We stopped using the word 'cut' and started with 'trimmed' - I also gave her a bit of lead time that we were going to do it. Like when she's in the bath I say 'so tonight after bath, you and I are going to sit down and daddy is going to trim your nails as they are getting long' so we'll have the bath, you and I will watch some night garden while daddy does your nails and keep reminding her. She still squirms a bit but I distract her by talking about what we are watching. As I said though she's a bit younger so it might not work in 12 months! Without this technique it was horrific!