+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2 opportunities not sure what to take

I am in the very fortunate position to have 2 job opportunities that are both within school hours which is important to me. I am currently working with both of these companies but both want me to do more hours. I just can't decide what is better.

Would you choose a job you love, that is local (10 min commute) but has limited opportunity to develop or would you choose a job that involves a long commute (1 hour), that you enjoy but don't love and is a good career opportunity?

Help!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It depends where your focus is going to be in the next few years. For me my focus is on ease and more time with family now so i would choose what is close. But...if you know you want to further your career, then invest the time and effort and go the further opportunity. Short term pain for long term gain.
    Although different i'm making a decision at the moment too. An opportunity has come up a year before i am ready. But i'm going to go for it because it will mean being closer to my children in school etc in the future. I looked ahead and considered where i wanted to be later. Don't know if that helps! Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What's your long term plan? Do you have one in terms of your career path and do either of these jobs tick that box? Will the jobs be long term or just short term? I've just had to choose between 2 jobs. For similar reasons to you, kids and hours, I turned down the government one and chose the one where I can still drop my girls off to school and pick up a few times a week. The other job, I wouldn't have been able to do either, would cost more in fuel, parking, and time. By turning down the government job I'm giving up a job that has great career prospects however my short term goal is still trying to be around more for the girls while they are still young.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I am leaning towards the job closest. I just want to enjoy what I'm doing I don't have any great career ambitions apart from earn a little money and doing something I enjoy. I think I got caught up in - it's a great opportunity and therefore I have to take it, rather than thinking what is actually going to work for me and my family.

Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bridee For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me right now, I would take the closer job. I can't bear the thought of commuting for hours a day. Jobs will come and go but time is very precious. That's because I've got kids. Pre-kids I likely would have taken the second option.