+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby seems lost in Daycare

My 1.5 years old girl has started daycare and has been going there for the last two weeks. The first couple of days she cried but then slowly, she stopped crying and now is ok when I leave her. But the moment we enter, she puts on a lost look, her eyes become vacant. She seems dazed. Even from the photos they send, she seems lost, wearing a constant caught-in-the-headlights look.
    She never cries, is eating ok and from what the carer tells me, she is not interacting too much with the other kids(just 3 others as its a family daycare).
    But my question is -is she unhappy, sad?
    She is such a cheerful girl at home, her eyes are always full of mischief..but when now she is putting on that look at the daycare, I am not sure what to think? Can you please help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    It can take longer than 2 weeks to make some connections to the educators and other children. Maybe have a chat to her educators about how she's interacting.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Lifesgood29  (17-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It takes time. Things are different. Just like we as adults need time to adjust so do our kids - we have just learnt to hide a lot of our feelings.

Speak to her about her day when she comes home. Speak to her carers. But it sounds like she is just adjusting.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Lifesgood29  (17-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! Things do seem to be getting better...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was the same but things got better as he adjusted. Now he loves it and participates actively in all aspects of daycare

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Melh13 For This Useful Post:

Lifesgood29  (31-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My DD was the same though she was older when she started. It was exactly as you say, a vacant look in the eye like they're overwhelmed by it all so they check out. It really upset and worried me but the carers assured me that she ok during the day. We stuck it out and after a few weeks/ couple of months she began to make friends and it gradually got easier. Now she loves going and is animated and full of stories when I pick her up. Good luck, I hope things improve for your DD soon.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Lifesgood29  (31-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sometimes takes awhile. My DS started going to daycare when he was 10 months old and he's only just starting to interact with the other kids in his room in actual play shortly before his 2nd birthday. I'd probably keep lines of communication open with your DD's lead educator and other carers designated to her room (e.g. Spending 10-15 mins chatting with them about what they have planned for the day, what your concerns might be with her adjusting to the routine they have). They'll be the best ones to tell you about how she's coping and what both they and you can do to ease the transition.