+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think it's more animals from other countries that annoys me, the time and money put into the elephants and big cats here could have been donated to their own countries to help them in their own habitats, those animals need to be roaming, they need to walk hundreds of kilometres a day, not stuck in a few hundred metres of enclosures being looked at , it just makes me sad or worse the poor polar bears at SeaWorld, in QLD, that's just cruel
    A lot of the zoos do donate the money to support local people in animals native countries to create safe areas and habitat protection for them. I have also read some research that says the long distances animals travel in the wild is to locate food, water etc whereas this isn't necessary in a zoo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    A lot of the zoos do donate the money to support local people in animals native countries to create safe areas and habitat protection for them. I have also read some research that says the long distances animals travel in the wild is to locate food, water etc whereas this isn't necessary in a zoo.
    Of course but that's what they are supposed to do, not stand around and be hand fed ! I don't know what % of profits do go to donations or conservation, I wonder if we could find out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    Lions and tigers are meant to hunt prey, it's a very natural part of their existence. Complete different to having a lump of meat dumped in their enclosure. No stimulation, no hard chase......no wonder you see them pacing up and down alot of the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll put my hand up that yes I take the kids to circus's that have animals like Lions, horses etc. I love the circus, whether it has animals or not. I personally believe that the practice of animals in a circus needs to stop but I dont support just removing the animals. I think breeding and acquisition should be banned within the industry but allow the animals to remain with their trainers. In many cases, the animals have been with their trainers since birth, are second/third/fourth generation performing animals and dont know any other life. I dislike the idea of removing an animal from it's carer whom it genuinely loves.

I have no problems with zoos in general that make conservation their focus as most do these days. I dont agree that countries should focus on their own animals. There are species alive in some areas of Africa today because OTHER nations stepped in when corrupt governments wouldn't. I appreciate though that zoo's need to think about where their priorities are and help those in need first.

I am very anti whales in enclosure. Obviously the Orcas have been in the news lately and it really highlights just how damaging keeping animals like that is. The animal cannot achieve any kind of contentment or happiness in captivity.

In general, we have to acknowledge that zoo's and exposure to animals is a big part of what drives people to support wildlife and animal charities. I'm much more likely to throw dollars at something to protect gorillas than I am a Zonkey. I have seen gorillas, I've never seen a zonkey (though I would LOVE too).
    Last edited by zelda; 16-01-2017 at 12:01.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zelda For This Useful Post:

Alicia111  (16-01-2017),Frankenmum  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just found Tarongas annual profit and loss report - this was at the bottom of their profit and loss statement:

**The funds raised by the Foundation for the year ended 30 June 2016 amounted to $12,956,000 ($12,853,000 in 2014/2015). Total Foundation expenditure includes expenditure on conservation research and education projects of $343,500 as of 30 June 2016 ($748,000 in 2014/2015).

If they really only spent less than 3% of their revenue on conservation then that's a lot worse than I thought!

IMG_1484529612.036126.jpg

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (16-01-2017),Hopeful37  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I just found Tarongas annual profit and loss report - this was at the bottom of their profit and loss statement:

**The funds raised by the Foundation for the year ended 30 June 2016 amounted to $12,956,000 ($12,853,000 in 2014/2015). Total Foundation expenditure includes expenditure on conservation research and education projects of $343,500 as of 30 June 2016 ($748,000 in 2014/2015).

If they really only spent less than 3% of their revenue on conservation then that's a lot worse than I thought!

Attachment 87935
    Yikes :what:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I'm not a fan of animals being used in entertainment in terms of being trained to perform 'tricks'. I cringe when I think these beautiful creatures may be punished if they don't perform as required. Plus they are so far removed from their natural habitat and can't move around freely (I imagine they'd be caged when they're not training or performing).

As for zoos and the like, I don't frown on them to the same degree as the animals tend to be treated with more dignity and kindness. My DH used to volunteer at Taronga and the keepers really are dedicated to caring for the animals. Some of the species are rare and require protection, so they're not solely housed for display.

The line in the sand for me is when it is obvious the animal is being kept in an environment which is not suitable/comfortable for them, or when it appears their care needs are not being met.

As for theme parks, I feel ill that huge marine creatures like the Orca are kept in small pools and trained to entertain. Research shows how damaging this is to the animal, yet it continues.
    I'm the same as this. I vocally (social media, family and friends) boycot the circus when it's in town. Our council actually banned circuses with animals last year and I was celebrating such a progressive council, then decided to change their mind and now allows them again! I will never ever allow my kids to go to an animal circus.

I would never go to a zoo or anything to do with animals overseas, particularly third world countries. No tigers or elephant rides in Thailand, as beautiful as I think it would have been I refuse to give those people my money as I can guarantee they're not treating the animals how they deserve to be treated.

I love that there are a few circuses now with either just people, or giant animal puppets or robots. In my opinion they're even more fascinating than animals. I'm so happy to pay to support them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm definitely against circuses with animals and would never attend one. I do visit zoos as I do believe they do important conservation work and support captive breeding programs across diverse genetic lines. However there are some animals which I don't support being in small zoo spaces such as lions. We were at Adelaide zoo 2 weeks ago and they have a male lion in an enclosure that is basically a cage. No grass a couple of trees, tiny space with bars all around. Horrible. And he was just laying there and having seen lions in the wild in Africa it broke my heart to see such a majestic animal so defeated. Open plain zoos are more suited to such animals.
    A huge issue overseas is the animal attractions like elephant riding and lion petting. There are several places in Southern Africa which offer 'walking with lion' activities and you pay to walk with and pat young lions. What they don't tell you is what happens to them when they get too big to be walked and patted. Most are sold off for 'canned hunting' where these lions who have no fear of humans and almost tame are let out into a fenced area for some hero to 'hunt' and kill it. It's so sickening. People don't realize that going to these places to walk with cute lions directly provides the market for canned hunting. I wish more tourists were informed and cared enough to not visit these places!
    In 2012 I was privileged enough to go trekking in Rwanda to see the mountain gorillas - totally amazing experience and with the instability in that region (especially DRC) and the few numbers left I do think supporting small populations of gorillas in captivity in appropriate enclosures is essential. All it takes is civil war to break out in Uganda or Rwanda again and they could be wiped out completely which would be devastating. Supporting protection within these countries is so important but in some cases it's also important to have the animals housed safely in other places too.
    Sorry for the essay!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Alicia111  (16-01-2017),Elijahs Mum  (16-01-2017),Frankenmum  (16-01-2017),Tinkers  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so happy to read this thread! Good bye to the cruel circus. Hope any other smaller circuses still around with animals close now too

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopeful37 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (16-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @gingermillie that's so sad about the canned hunting You're so lucky to have had such amazing experiences seeing those animals in the wild!